Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 705 G1 Desktop Mini

Hello,

I have a very strange issue with my Elitedesk 705 G1 mini.  Looking to install OS, new SSDs...after plugging in the 120watt power supply, the computer will turn on, but no display and the HD led does not light up, the power light stays white and after a few minutes the fan runs and stays running at full speed.  Also when you then try and shut down the computer it will not, and the only way to turn off is to pull the ac adapter.  The voltage light on the motherboard is green.  I have removed the ram, ssd, etc and powered on after each step.  It will give red error lights and beeps when CPU is removed.  Does not recognize keyboard or mouse.  Fan DOES come on. I have also reset CMOS and blue password jumper.  Any thoughts as I am at a loss.....

Specs (when everything is installed):

4gb ddr3

250gb m.2 2280

240 gb ssd

A6-7400b

Thanks for any help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I can't determine cause and effect from your problem description.

Did installing a new SSD cause this?

Does your PC work correctly with factory installed components?

I see support for a M.2 SSD when using a PCIe to M.2 adapter.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello,

Little bit of background, this was a barebones system...so no HD, no memory/cpu etc. I added the ssd (new), m.2 (new), cpu (working pull) etc...  I installed everything and turned it on in order to load OS.  The fan turned on and the power light stayed lit, the voltage light on the motherboard is green.  After a minute or so the fan would ramp up to full...attempted to power off...held down the power button, nothing happens. Also no display as well, lcd monitor stays dark...even swapped out vga cords.Had to pull the power cord.  One by one I have removed each part and it does the same...no hard drives, no memory etc....

HP Recommended

Hi,

It appears you cannot POST the system with only the processor installed or by adding RAM

I would look at the processor (bent pins), or the CPU socket,

The motherboard could be bad, other than a bad CPU socket,

Or the power supply is bad.

You would have to try known good replacement components (CPU, RAM, power supply, and motherboard) or have a local PC tech take a look.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.