Level 2
25 14 0 2
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Solved!

Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF restarting on its own

HP Recommended

Hello,

We have 20 Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF units; running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  One one unit, an intermittent issue.

Use Shutdown from Windows, computer shuts off.  Sometime later, during the night, it turns back on.

Interesting note: we have a power-on password set in the BIOS, and turning on the computer results in a password prompt.  When this unit randomly restarts, it seems to bypass the password and goes directly to the ctrl alt delete screen to login to Windows.

I have tried turning off any "wake" options that I can find for the NIC, mouse, BIOS settings, and even tried the registry hack for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon "PowerdownAfterShutdown".

The BIOS, Chipset are both updated, as are all other drivers suggested by HP.

I have witnessed the restart once - I shut down, looked at the front of the computer, all lights were out, and it restarted.  I had not touched a thing.  Of course, I have not had it restart like that in front of me again. 😕

Any additional ideas?

thnaks

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 10
Level 10
2,173 2,102 101 368
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi tech_DLS,

Do your PCs have wi/fi? I'm wondering if the wi/fi is causing this. I've seen issues with other motherboards where wi/fi software/hardware can cause a PC to turn on like this.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
25 14 0 2
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry - no wi-fi in this computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
Level 3
38 37 1 3
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Call our hp elite support @ 1-800- 334-5144
I am an HP Employee supporting Desktop and Notebook computers.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 2
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just got off the phone with Authorized Service Provider Tech support.  This BIOS updating did not resolve the issue, but removing CMOS battery and powerdraining proved successful.

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
25 14 0 2
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

We tried a number of things; including turning off any tasks we could find.  Eventually, I found that disk defrag was set to automatic, and I disable that.  The power up at night thing has not re-appeared since then.  Even though a defrag schedule is *not* supposed to power on a computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pulling the CMOS battery, pressing the CMOS button and power button a few times worked for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 2
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How do I stop my computer starting on its own, after I shut it down? Altered automatic updates so  won't shut down on it's own.  What can I do to cure this problem besides return it to the store.

Highlighted
2 2 0 1
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We have hundreds of 800 G1 affected and probably 800 G2.

No HP solution on this moment...

Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution to this?  I have a 800 G2 CMT tower, BIOS updated to the latest 2.15, and have tried the CMOS battery pull, and power drain method with no luck.  I have 2 of 9 machines exhibiting this behaviour.

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation