Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello,

We have 20 Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF units; running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  One one unit, an intermittent issue.

Use Shutdown from Windows, computer shuts off.  Sometime later, during the night, it turns back on.

Interesting note: we have a power-on password set in the BIOS, and turning on the computer results in a password prompt.  When this unit randomly restarts, it seems to bypass the password and goes directly to the ctrl alt delete screen to login to Windows.

I have tried turning off any "wake" options that I can find for the NIC, mouse, BIOS settings, and even tried the registry hack for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon "PowerdownAfterShutdown".

The BIOS, Chipset are both updated, as are all other drivers suggested by HP.

I have witnessed the restart once - I shut down, looked at the front of the computer, all lights were out, and it restarted.  I had not touched a thing.  Of course, I have not had it restart like that in front of me again. 😕

Any additional ideas?

thnaks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Call our hp elite support @ 1-800- 334-5144
I am an HP Employee supporting Desktop and Notebook computers.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi tech_DLS,

Do your PCs have wi/fi? I'm wondering if the wi/fi is causing this. I've seen issues with other motherboards where wi/fi software/hardware can cause a PC to turn on like this.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Sorry - no wi-fi in this computer.

HP Recommended
Call our hp elite support @ 1-800- 334-5144
I am an HP Employee supporting Desktop and Notebook computers.
HP Recommended

I just got off the phone with Authorized Service Provider Tech support.  This BIOS updating did not resolve the issue, but removing CMOS battery and powerdraining proved successful.

HP Recommended

Hello,

We tried a number of things; including turning off any tasks we could find.  Eventually, I found that disk defrag was set to automatic, and I disable that.  The power up at night thing has not re-appeared since then.  Even though a defrag schedule is *not* supposed to power on a computer.

HP Recommended

Pulling the CMOS battery, pressing the CMOS button and power button a few times worked for me.

HP Recommended

How do I stop my computer starting on its own, after I shut it down? Altered automatic updates so  won't shut down on it's own.  What can I do to cure this problem besides return it to the store.

HP Recommended

We have hundreds of 800 G1 affected and probably 800 G2.

No HP solution on this moment...

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution to this?  I have a 800 G2 CMT tower, BIOS updated to the latest 2.15, and have tried the CMOS battery pull, and power drain method with no luck.  I have 2 of 9 machines exhibiting this behaviour.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.