Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, we are using some Elitedesk 800 G2 desktop pc's.  Sometimes these pc's are spontaneously booting.  This can occur when the user is shutting down the pc the proper way (start > on/off > shutdown): A few seconds after shutdown, the pc reboots itself.  Sometimes, the pc boots itself during the night, when it has been off for hours.  Somtimes it boots to Windows, somtimses to PXE boot, sometimes to the memory test.  The devices can act normal for days of weeks and then the problem occures again.

The problem is driving me crasy.  I am scanning my netwerk for wake on lan messages for weeks: Not a single message received except the test messages I send myself.  I changed keyboard and mouse (some users still had old PS/2 devices, replaced them with new USB devices): not a solution.  I did a BIOS update, disabled wake on lan, there is no boot sheduled in the bios, nor in Windows.  Boot after a power breakdown is disabled in BIOS.  I'm getting out of ideas.  Anyone with a better idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It has to do something with fastboot.  When using fastboot, the computer isn't really off but in some kind of sleep mode.  In this sleep mode it awakes somehow, resulting in the weird booting behaviour.

Solution (my Windows is in Dutch so the translation is crappy): In control panel, click system.  Then click energy management.  In energy management in left column, choose option "beavior on/off buttons".  Click "change settings that are not available now" ("elevate rights" to admin rights).  Uncheck fastboot and save settings.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have the same problem here.

HP Recommended

OMG i thought it was just me ?

HP we need a solution for this we will have to hold off purchasing an Additional 50x of these model PC's if they are going to do this.

HP Recommended

@ vverbeke  hi thank you for describing your issues with us regarding EliteDesk 800 G2 models rebooting after shutdown and power on after many hours being off.

I also have a few EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF models which do exactly what you described in your post. Have you found a solution or you are planning to return it

Thank you

HP Recommended

It has to do something with fastboot.  When using fastboot, the computer isn't really off but in some kind of sleep mode.  In this sleep mode it awakes somehow, resulting in the weird booting behaviour.

Solution (my Windows is in Dutch so the translation is crappy): In control panel, click system.  Then click energy management.  In energy management in left column, choose option "beavior on/off buttons".  Click "change settings that are not available now" ("elevate rights" to admin rights).  Uncheck fastboot and save settings.

HP Recommended

vverbeke is right, thats what i ended up doing to stop them randomly booting, not sure who should be fixing this Either Microsoft or HP..

HP Recommended

Hi everyone !

Have the same problem on the 21 HP 600 G2 MT PCs of my network.

I noticed that when a PC reboots by itself, the PXE boot option in the bios is on, even if I turned it off few minutes ago... Very stange. It is like this PXE boot option spontaneously activates, a kind of magic !

HP can you fix it ? (I don't want to turn off the fast boot of Windows 10, damned!)

HP Recommended

This 4 year old post saved myself alot of headache as I was banging my head against some frustrating elite desks.  Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.