Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 1 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23. All in one. No video no bios

ENVY 23-c210xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Envy 23 has no video no bios.  The fan starts and cd starts but no lights on the keyboard. I have seen alot of messages about this on this board lately but no solutions. I took the hard drive out to back it up and it was slow and getting some bad sectors. so that may be the problem. after the scan I was able to back it up on another machine.  I have tried all the other suggestions about hitting f10 and windows+B but the keyboard lights are not on and that is not likely to work. Can I get a real answer from a technician who has seen and fixed this problem. There are too many of these on this board and no one is getting a real answer.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,296 2,010
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there!

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that your PC is exhibiting black screen during startup.

Please try performing the following steps.

Performing a hard reset to resolve a blank screen issue

Completely resetting the computer can resolve many issues that cause a blank screen. Follow these steps to perform a hard reset:

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards.
  3. Disconnect the AC power adapter.
  4. Press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds.
  5. Reconnect the AC power adapter.
  6. Turn on the computer.

If the blank screen issue is resolved, you are done.

If the screen is still blank, continue with the next step to listen for computer beeps and look at the lights.

If you are able to boot into BIOS try the following steps.

1. Then Turn on the computer and repeatedly press F10 until the BIOS setup utility opens.
  2. In the BIOS Setup utility, press the Right Arrow key and select the Power tab.
  3. Press the Down Arrow key to select Hardware Power Management, and then press Enter.
  4. Press the Right Arrow key to disable SATA Power Management.
  5. Press F10 to save the settings.
  6. Press the Left Arrow key and select the File tab.
  7. Press the Down Arrow key to select Save Changes and Exit, and then press Enter twice.

Try the following link for troubleshooting black screen: http://hp.care/2bSue7u

Let me know if this works.

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have already done that. there is now way to hit the f keys because there are no lights on the keyboard. there are atleast 20 ohter occurrences of this on this board and no one is giving a real answer to the problem. please escalate this to a higher tech. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have not heard back. Is HP going to leave all of us without an answer on this issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! thanks for the reply.

This looks to be a hardware problem please contact HP using the link below for further assistance.

Link: http://hp.care/2bkTGBQ

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will replacing a bad hard drive fix this problem. it is not worth $400 to fix this computer. if a new hard drive will fix the problem I can install that myself. if you do not know the answer can you ask someane and post it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! Thanks for the reply Scott,

Can you try removing the hard drive and memory from your PC? Then check whether you are able to see any error message on the screen or if you can hear any beeps sound from the computer. 

Please follow this link to know more about the beep codes: http://hp.care/2chEOVJ

Let me know if this helps.

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I beep is repeated without the memory or cmos battery. no beeps with hard drive installed. no video on any attempts

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! thanks for the reply Scott this looks like to be a hardware problem it should be the system board which has gone bad.

You can contact HP phone support and get the unit repaired.

Link  to contact HP: http://hp.care/2bkTGBQ

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

is there any truth this this from a prior post

Well, I have read about every document HP has online and tried everything to no avail. Obviously, the hard drive was having issues before things went south, but what is AMAZING is that there is no POST. After digging about, it seems this is by design. Check this out:

"When you try to turn on a computer, one of the preliminary hardware tests performed is the hard drive connection check. If the start up test cannot access the hard drive, the testing stops and no additional actions can be taken. In other words, when you press the power button the LEDs may glow for a moment and a fan may start to spin, but then all action stops. Removing and reseating the hard drive can restore the connection and allow you to continue the start up testing and perform other hard drive tests.
 NOTE:
This problem must be resolved before you can boot into the BIOS or Windows and perform any other tests.
Many computer problems are related to soft failures (or degraded performance) on the hard drive. The HP Hard Drive Self Test will repair soft errors on the hard drive, but it will not report the errors. After the test is complete, restart the computer to see if test repaired the problem you may been experiencing."

So it is POSSIBLE that reseating the drive will fix the issue, but not necessarily. Neither my system nor my coworker's can be booted. I PAID for HP tech support since my warranty ended in 2014. DO NOT DO THIS. You will waste $63. I got somebody who basically read me the same documents I had already read and tried. They have you release the static electricity(drain the power), reseat the memory modules, then they declared it must be the motherboard. I was furious. They go by a heuristic script that applies to any system out there but illuminates nothing. Something is amiss with the drive and its relation to the BIOS. Another very interesting point--the Seagate drive in my system had an important firmware update released in July, around the time everything went downhill. It pertained to SMART issues and booting. Sadly, you can't apply these patches as you have to be in Windows to do so. Can't use an OS on a stick to get to a prompt where you can flash the firmware. I wish they could have answered some real questions for $63 instead of reading me a script...
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation