cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • ×
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

    Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

  • post a message
  • ×
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

    Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

  • post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 12
437
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23 Touchsmart screen is blank - no usb

Computer screen remains blank when powered, no USB - will beep if there no memory -this indicates there is a problem with the BIOS as described by multiple posts in this forum. When I try to clear the cmos with the jumpers it takes hours to clear (it seems almost arbitrary) I have only been able to clear the cmos and boot into windows 10 twice in 4 days; however, when the computer restarts it goes back to a blank screen. Where is the BIOS flash utility and data to update bios to fix this problem.
I paid good money for this computer when I bought it 07/2013 and it has been sitting like a brick in my desk for over a year and a half. HP refuses to acknowledge and fix this problem and asks for more money-this will be my last HP product (I had problems with other products as well and had to fix them on my own) but I am done with HP's customer support. So HP please post a reasonable solution to this problem and the links required to get the proper software and flash the bios.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 12
416
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23 Touchsmart screen is blank - no usb

> this indicates there is a problem with the BIOS as described by multiple posts in this forum.

 

I disagree with the statement that it is a BIOS problem.

 

The most-likely components to fail are:

 

* disk-drive -- unable to boot

* power-supply -- not supplying power to the disk-drive

* motherboard -- faulty or intermittent problems, or "blown" capacitors.

 

Restart the computer, and choose to run the built-in HP Hardware Diagnostics.

 

Have you tried taking the computer to a qualified computer technician, for professional trouble-shooting, such as temporarily using a different power-supply, or removing the disk-drive, and then running an "extensive" disk-drive testing program? 

 

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 3 of 12
413
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23 Touchsmart screen is blank - no usb

> When I try to clear the CMOS with the jumpers, it takes hours to clear (it seems almost arbitrary)

 

Done correctly, "clearing the BIOS" should almost be instantaneous -- move the jumper, do something, move the jumper back.  So, I'm wondering if you are doing it correctly, for your specific motherboard.

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 4 of 12
405
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23 Touchsmart screen is blank - no usb

Thank you for responding to my post. As I stated in my original post I have been able to boot the computer (3 times in 5 days) however, when I turn it off (or if OS restarts the computer to apply updates) it goes back to a blank screen and there is no power to the USB ports, which means that the BIOS bootstrap sequence is being interrupted because there is no beeping (if I take out the memory it beeps). If the hard drive was at fault the screen should still turn on because booting up from the HD is the last step of the BIOS sequence.

I suspect that the problem arises from the UEFI portion of the boot up sequence but since there is no flowchart on the POST sequence of the BIOS i can't be sure. As for clearing up the bios with the jumpers it is not as straight forward as you claim as documented by the multiple posts on this forum.

To ease your mind about my technical abilities, I have been fixing  computers for over 20 years and I seriously doubt that my local computer shop can match my expertise in the field.

 

What I and the other owners these computers need is an acknowledgement and true solution from HP, because it is disgraceful that a $1,200 computer brakes down after 2 years and HP refuses to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 5 of 12
384
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23 Touchsmart screen is blank - no usb

> As for clearing up the bios with the jumpers it is not as straight forward as you claim as documented by the multiple posts on this forum.

 

I never said that it was "straight-forward".  Your "straw-man" argument is fallacious.

 

For some motherboards, the "middle" step (after moving the jumper) requires the motherboard to be powered-on, while for some motherboards, that step requires the motherboard to be powered-off.  There are other variants, too, before the "final" step (returning the jumper to its original position).  I didn't want to write an essay, and get a 'TLDR' ("too long, didn't read") response.

 

> To ease your mind about my technical abilities, I have been fixing  computers for over 20 years ...

 

I passed that 20-year milestone well over a decade ago.  :generic:

I will admit to upgrading from Windows 3.1 to IBM's OS/2 Operating System, instead of Windows 95, on my 80486-based computer. :OpenSmile:

 

> What I and the other owners these computers need is an acknowledgement and true solution from HP, 

 

Agreed.  But, this is a "user-to-user" forum, although some of the contributors are HP employees who can "escalate" a problem on this forum to an "official" request to HP Support.  Hint: using "Report Inappropriate Content", and finger-pointing at HP,  may cause an "escalation" by a moderator on this forum.

 

 

 

 

 

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 12
375
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23 Touchsmart screen is blank - no usb

I don't really want to get into an argument into who has been working with computers longer because it is not pertinent to this discussion (I said over, however I did not specify by how much because it doen't matter), suffice to say that my experience is greater than average computers shop.

The real problem lies with HP shifting their responsibility for fixing their defective products to their customers to save money, while at the same time not making their technical service manuals, bios images, and utilities available to the public in the product page  (right to fix). As a matter of fact, yesterday I was informed via twitter that the HP's envy TouchSmart that I bought 4 years ago has reached end of life (are you guys serious?) this is the actual quote from their social media support(Maya).

 

"After further investigation, I regret to inform you that your unit has reached End of Support Life, as of 3/31/2017, which means that HP no longer has access to recovery discs, hardware or software for your system."

 

However, this statement is not entirely true; because, as anyone who has bought this computer knows while this computer originally shipped with windows 8 and they never provided support to upgrade to windows 10, which was released 2 years ago as an automatic update, and there are plenty of posts complaining about this fact.

 

So I figure it is time for HP to step up and take responsibility for the products they sell as follows:

 

  1. It is time for HP to curate all the information that an end user might need to fix their machines in an easy to find web page and stop shifting this responsibility to your end users.
  2. Make all BIOS images and utilities to fix the firmware available to the public. And if you decide to consider that this information is proprietary then you have an obligation to fix it free of charge. 

And lastly I rather read a long statement than an imcomplete one, since an incomplete one might be missleading for people trying to fix their computers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 7 of 12
372
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23 Touchsmart screen is blank - no usb

From: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c03534779

 

HP ENVY 23-d039 TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC Product Specifications

 

Product release information

 

Product number - H4A36AA
Release date - 11-Oct-2012
Country/region sold in - Canada

 

Intel Core i5 3330s
• Operating speed: Up to 2.7 GHz (up to 3.2 GHz turbo)
• Number of cores: 4

----------------

 

So, just a month away from being on the market for 5 years.

Definitely "old" in today's world of rapid turn-over.

For example, it does not have a "Core2" processor.

 

I refuse to "clutter" this thread with more discussion that belongs in the "Cafe' and Lounge" section of this HP Forum.

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 12
368
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23 Touchsmart screen is blank - no usb

I don't know who gave you the authority to moderate my post, and maybe you can and like to trash your computer every couple of years; I don't.  Too bad there is not a not-helpful (Troll) button to let you know not to waste our time. If you have no experience with this problem and don't have anything besides the obvious or a wrong solution please don't post. Moreover, it was your response to my original post (which was intended into shaming HP for not taking responsibility for this piece of crap) set the tone for this conversation thread, so maybe you should find another hobby besides annoying people on the forum.

 

I can't see the relevance of you posting what machine you have, but just in case here are:

 

Model: hp envy 23-d050xt

 

I7-3770S processor, Lavaca3-sb MB, AMD Radeon HD 7650A w/ 2gb DDR3

 

As you can see from the specs this is still a viable computer, that is not to say that older computers should be discarded since they can still make good linux servers and desktops.

 

Finally, the end of support timer should start when they stop selling the machine to the public regardless of the manufacturing date, or make the buyer aware of the time left so we can make an inform decision.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 12
347
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23 Touchsmart screen is blank - no usb

HP support instead of giving worthless merit bages, maybe you should be making all technical documentation, tools and BIOS images available for products no longer supported because we have the right to fix. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 10 of 12
343
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 23 Touchsmart screen is blank - no usb

> ... maybe you should be ...

 

I have never been employed by HP, and am not, and never have been authorized to speak on their behalf.

 

This is a "user-to-user" forum.

 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation