Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 750-524 Desktop Boot Issue

Envy 750-524 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a brand new desktop purchased through HP. On the third day, it started having boot issues. Specifically, the desktop doesn't appear until about 6 minutes after power on. The PC is booted up, though. I can invoke the Task Manager and run Control Panel, Microsoft Edge, any of the Control Panel applets, and I'm pretty sure anything that I know the command line executable for. However, I get no response when I try to run explorer.exe in order to get the desktop and icons. No icons, no desktop, no start menu--just a black screen with a mouse pointer.

I can boot into Safe Mode and get a desktop immediately.

I thought perhaps the video driver (Intel HD Graphics 630, I think), so I disabled it and rebooted. No desktop. I tried to uninstall the video driver and just use the Microsoft video driver. Still no improvement. I reinstalled the driver from the Intel website in case there was a newer version( (there was not) or it was corrupted. Still no improvement. I don't think it's a bad video driver problem. Especially since it wouldn't even work with the generic Microsoft driver.

In each instance, once I figured it out, I could invoke Task Manager and run any executable less than a minute after power on. I did a lot of my troubleshooting while the PC was in this state--a black screen that I started programs from the Task Manager RUN command. (I think at one point I tried using Win+R and ran executables from that.

Very puzzling situation. The PC worked fine for the first three days. At this point, I advised the owner to let it go to sleep instead of powering off. It seems to wake up to a desktop immediately. That's an inelegant solution, though, since Windows Updates required frequent reboots. In that case, I advised the owner to power it on and then go do something else for at least 6 minutes. Or send the PC back to HP for a refund.

Any suggestions to resolve this would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,043
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Run the HP Support Assistant and see if it picks up the HP fix for the issue.   HP has been a little slow in getting the fix out as it doesn't affect every PC.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. The owner of the PC went on vacation for a week, so I will get with him when he returns.

I ran the HP Support Assistant on my PC. I saw a section for One click fixes that on mine only scanned for network connectivity problems. I will see if he has anything in that section.

The guided troubleshooting guides were completely useless, as none of their canned problems came close to this strange issue.

Is there some scan-for-any-problem button in HP Support Assistant that I am missing?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation