Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy All-in-One won't boot - stuck on HP screen.

Envy All-in-One 27-p010xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC refused to boot a few days ago.  It would get stuck on the HP screen.  Trying several of the hints I found, nothing worked.  I've also tried to get into the BIOS diaganostic screen by hitting F2.  Doing that would show the initial BIOS screen, but it stuck there.

What I did find that would allow me to get the computer to start once (either into Windows itself or to the diagnostic screen) was to remove the BIOS battery and replace it.  This would hard reset the BIOS and allow things to work.  But, once I attempt to shut Windows down or even sleep the PC, it would get stuck.  Forcing the PC off and trying to start it again would bring right back to being stuck on the HP screen.  ...remove that battery again and I get get it to boot.

When I was in the UEFI screen I ran the long hardware diagnostics and it showed no problem.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,247 6,228 313 458
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @DanH-11 ,

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

I went through the detailed description and I see that you've already performed most of the troubleshooting steps by yourself. Kudos to you for that. 😉

This look's like an issue with the CMOS battery of the computer. You may either replace it by yourself, or I'd request you to contact HP's phone support team for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to auto detect.Scroll down to "Still need help?

Complete the form to select your contact options". Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can try to replace the battery, but I think that may not solve the problem. 

When I took the battery out I measured it at 3.12V.  That seems like it is still in good shape by that measurement.  Is there any known issues with the batteries?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,247 6,228 313 458
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @DanH-11 ,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

As I said earlier, This happens only when the CMOS battery is dead or weak. Replacing it would solve the issue. 🙂

I'd request you to contact HP's phone support team for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to auto detect.Scroll down to "Still need help?

Complete the form to select your contact options". Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can try to replace the battery, but I think that may not solve the problem. 

When I took the battery out I measured it at 3.12V.  That seems like it is still in good shape by that measurement. 

You are correct to measure voltage.

Batteries use chemical reactions to produce electricity.

The chemistry always produces the same voltage, when two atoms interact.

However, each interaction only produces a small amperage -- you need millions of interactions to produce sufficient amperage.  A worn-out battery does not have such millions of reactions available.

So, if you are only measuring voltage, and not measuring amperage, you need more information, before deciding that a battery is "good".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, I put the battery under load with a 470 ohm resistor I found.  I saw about 2.88V this way.  This should have resulted in 6.13mA which I am guessing should be way more current that what the CMOS backup current is.

Anyway, I got a new battery for grins.  (It tested 3.31V open circuit.)  As I kind of suspected, this did not fix the issue.

By the way, it appears this PC have developed the touchscreen issue I have seen in another thread.  Are these All-In-Ones known to be unreliable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. By the way, it appears this PC have developed the touchscreen issue I have seen in another thread. 

2. Are these All-In-Ones known to be unreliable?

1. Blame Microsoft for a "bad" update released on Shrove Tuesday, February 13, 2018 for causing the symptoms on both HP and DELL computers.

2. No.  People who do NOT have problems with their All-In-One computer do NOT post here. :Wink:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay.  So a bum Microsoft update maybe causing the issue.  This is new info.

Anywhere I can find more info about this issue, what specific problems it has been causing and what can be done about it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So a bum Microsoft update maybe causing the issue.  This is new info.

Anywhere I can find more info about this issue, what specific problems it has been causing and what can be done about it?

The problem is that the keyboard & mouse go "dead" during boot-up of Windows.

Any LED on the keyboard goes "dark".  A "laser-mouse" goes "dark".

Within this forum, see:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Mouse-amp-Keyboard-Stop/td-p/6600283

for responses to another person who reported the same symptoms.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation