Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy Desktop- Cooling fans maxing, PC will not boot

HP Envy h8-1534PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Two days ago, the PC was working fine.  Some time last night (unbeknownst to me) the cooling fans got really loud.  I came into my office to discover the desktop sounded like a jet engine.  I powered it off and back on, and got the same result.  The fans seemed to be at maximum power, and the PC would not boot.  I'm getting nothing on the monitor.

This machine is about five years old, but I have maintained it well.  It's in a large enough room and is almost dust-free.

I installed a SSD about three years ago, and upgraded the RAM from 10 GB to 24 GB.  I have had basically zero problems with the machine until now.  I have not received any kind of errors or warnings with regard to hardware or sowftware.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy Desktop- Cooling fans maxing, PC will not boot

Powering-on your computer causes your fan to spin at 100% of its speed and noise.

Then, the POST (Power On Self Test) runs the hardware diagnostics.

One of the diagnostics measures the temperature of the motherboard and of the processor.

If the temperatures literally are "cool", then the fan is directed to slow down, because not that much cooling is required, and the fan emits less noise.

If you have a problem with the computer (RAM? Motherboard? CPU?), then the POST never starts, or the POST never completes, and you fan continues to spin at 100%, as you have observed.

So, you have some sort of hardware failure.

Can you test the RAM in some other computer, to verify that the RAM is OK?

Can you temporarily attach a different power-supply, to see if that resolves your symptoms?

Your disk-drive, containing your personal files, should be OK, and can be connected as a "secondary" disk-drive in some other compuer.

Given that your computer probably is running Windows 7, and that Microsoft will terminate support for Windows 7 in January 2020 -- 16 months from now -- you will have to run Windows 10 in 2020.  So, purchase a replacement computer today, and Windows 10 will be included.

Finally, your computer's disk-drive is 5 years old.

It came with a 1-year warranty, or maybe a 2-year warranty.

Compare with automobile tires that wear out, after 5 years, your disk-drive is wearing out.

So, if you are "proactive", you should consider a replacement of the disk-drive, or purchase of a replacement computer.

But, instead of paying $100 US for a replacement disk-drive, invest that $100 in the purchase of the replacement computer.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation