Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy H9-1420T Phoenix
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've got an Envy h9-1420T Phoenix desktop, running a RAID 5 configuration across three 2TB hard drives.  Recently the computer would not start up (would not even POST).  Troubleshooting led me to find that one of the hard drives was bad (disconnecting its SATA cable allowed the computer to POST).  I am able to replace the hard drive, but I have no idea how to rebuild the RAID.  I really want to rebuild the RAID rather than recreate it from scratch as there is important data that I need to recover.  I've searched the forums here, but haven't found any instructions on where the RAID utility is, or how to use it at the BIOS/initial boot up stage.  Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Use the same utility you created the RAID5 with.

That would be the Intel Rapid Storage Technology utility,

Check in the taskbar for an IRST icon and click on it.

If two of the three RAID disks were OK, the rebuild should have started automatically.

Search for Intel Optane or Intel Rapid Storage Technology in the search box.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I never set up the RAID to begin with, it came that way from HP.  And the computer won't boot into Windows (says there's no boot disk - which I would expect to see until I've rebuilt the RAID), so I can't run the IRST utility. 

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that.

Have you checked in the BIOS to see if IRST is configured?

Did you save your mission critical data to an external disk or other storage media?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I don't see anything in BIOS about IRST.  The options in here are disappointingly sparse.  The only thing having to do with RAID are under Storage Options.  I can either set it to SATA Emulation or RAID (RAID is already selected).

HP Recommended

Hi @FatRichie 

You did not answer my question in my last reply. 

HP Recommended

1)  "I don't see anything in BIOS about IRST."

2)  "I really want to rebuild the RAID rather than recreate it from scratch as there is important data that I need to recover."

If there are any other questions I missed, please let me know what they are.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Ah, Yes.

Did you back up your mission critical data to an external storage device?

If there is no RAID management utility, AFAIK recovering it is likely to be next to impossible.

This is the IRST driver for Windows 8.1.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-phoenix-h9-1400-desktop-pc-series...

Are you certain there is no IRST utility? I would expect that to be the installed RAID Management utility.

HP Recommended

Well, that is crazy that there is no BIOS level tool for managing the RAID.  I would have thought that MOST of the RAID config would be done before getting into Windows, since a bad hard drive would keep users from actually getting into Windows.

Here are screenshots of my BIOS options.  Maybe you'll see something that I'm missing.  As I stated earlier, the only options I see that have anything to do with RAID are under Storage Options, and that just essentially enables RAID.

I've also included a screenshot of the startup menu before entering BIOS, as that's where I've seen RAID config options on other computers up to this point.  But again, I don't see anything there pertaining to RAID.

It's not looking good for the mission critical data that resides only on this RAID...

Thanks!

20191208_090311.jpg20191208_090317.jpg20191208_090323.jpg20191208_090328.jpg20191208_090334.jpg20191208_090355.jpg20191208_090602.jpg20191208_090643.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.