Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

F10 Bios

i7 HP 400 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't get into The Bios.  I've re-booted many times.  I keep hitting F10.  I've tried the esc.  Many many times.  The system is too fast to get into it.  What else is there?  Are the instructions wrong?  I want to change the booting order so I can clone my SSD.  I did it on my last computer.  Help!  

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

F10 Bios

Two suggestions:

1. Turn the computer off.  Hold down any key on the keyboard. Turn the computer on. You might see a message like "keyboard error ... press <BLAH> to enter BIOS SETUP".  Release that "any" key. Press that <BLAH> key.

2. Turn the computer off. Turn the computer on, and immediately tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap ... on the F10 Key, until the computer responds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

F10 Bios

1: The first suggestion was good,  BUT doesn't work.  With one and or many keys held down, it booted into windows.  Maybe  HP doesen't like Logitech.

2: I've done the second reboot, tap,tap,tap, ad nauseum at least 15 times.  Tapping 10 minutes is too long.  The computer is too fast.  All it does is lockup and just sits there power on, no movement.  Same with F2 or escape.  Escape eventually just loudly beeps at me in discust.

I can't believe that hp would ahip a machine that didn't have DVD or usb as first boot.  

All I want to do is boot into my Acronis or EaseUS boot diisk so I can clone my ssd.  My HP ProDesk 400 G4 i7 won't let me.  

My other problem, buying the SD writer fru that should have come with the machine.  They won't reply to my request for the part Number.  

Maybe I'll have to remove my two HD 's and comfuse the MB into coming up with something.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

F10 Bios

>  All I want to do is boot into my Acronis or EaseUS boot disk so I can clone my SSD.

Do you have another "bare-bones" computer (1 GHz single-core CPU, 1 Gbyte RAM, 3 USB ports, CD-ROM, no disk-drive) ?

Connect a keyboard/mouse/monitor, connect the "source" and "target" disk-drives, and run the disk-cloning software.

Probably, any local  "owner/operator" computer store will have such a "bare-bones" box, that they would be glad to get rid of.  :generic:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

F10 Bios

Many good ideas.  I still can't get into the Bios.  Here's what I've tried. All the usual as I already pointed out.  

Next I removed both HD's.  Still no.  I tried booting into DVD's, USB.  System won't recognize either.  

However, I've noticed that the Display doesn't turn on until almost to the password request.  Ta Da!  It's the Display that is the problem.   What I thought was a computer lockup was the BIOS but I wasn't able to view it.  That also explains why it mysteriously booted into the second HD without my changing my order.  My frustrations of banging different keys changed it.

So I disconnected the HDMI cable and used an old CRT cable.   It didn't make any difference. so there I am.  a slow (HP) Display and I can't do anything about it.  I don't even see the HP logo at boot up.  Apparently my new i7 HP ProDesk 400 G4 is alittle slow at telling the Display WAKE UP!  

Next step is to find out what all those abreviations are in the start up for my display.  ie: DDC/CI, ACR, Overdrive?  Maybe one of those will wakeup the display earlier.  Stay tuned.

Mt EaseUS is cloning my SST as I'm typing this.  If only I can get it to boot into it instead of the factory HD.  Then I'll quit blaming HP.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation