Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY PHOENIX 810
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP ENVY Phoenix 810-170st CTO Desktop PC will NOT power on. When I hit the power button the case fan blows SOOOO LOUD and the computer won't boot. Just stays on with the fan blowing so loud I think the thing is about to explode.

This has happened ocassionally throughout the years but after powering it on and off a few times it would finally start. This is different. I've been trying to get it to boot for 3 hours and I'm about to throw this thing off a cliff.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@PISSEDOFF2112,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! As I understand you are having issues with the fan making a loud noise. Don't worry I'll be really glad to help you with this.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Does the computer freeze or shut down after heating up?

Does the fan make a loud noise, apart from what you hear from the processor?

Did this start after a software or windows update?

What is the exact error message do you get on the screen?

For now, please perform all the prescribed steps from this link for overheating issues.

Also please take appropriate measures to reduce heat inside the computer from this link that helps to reduce heat.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to run an extensive system test on the computer from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshootingsteps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

If the issue still persists, please contact Hp technical support to get the computer repaired.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: 

1. Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  2. 2) Click on “Continue as guest”.
  3. 3) Enter the serial of your device.
  4. 4) Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. 5) Click on “Show Options”.

Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@PISSEDOFF2112 wrote:

My computer will not boot.

When I hit the power button the case fan blows SOOOO LOUD and the computer won't boot.

Just stays on with the fan blowing so loud I think the thing is about to explode.

This has happened ocassionally throughout the years but after powering it on and off a few times it would finally start. This is different. I've been trying to get it to boot for 3 hours and I'm about to throw this thing off a cliff.

By design, when you power-on your HP computer, the fan starts to run at 100%.

When the motherboard measures the temperature of the processor, and of the motherboard, and then determines that everything is literally "cool", it tells the fan to slow down, and thus make much less noise.

But, your motherboard is failing to complete the POST (Power On Self Tests).

So, the fan never gets told to slow down -- it continues to "roar".

It's time to replace the motherboard (if you can), or to replace the entire computer.

Note: a replacement motherboard, if available, can cost as much as a brand-new computer. Ouch!

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

From: HP ENVY Phoenix 810-170st Product Specifications and Configurable Options

This document contains basic features and specification for the following HP CTO model:

• HP ENVY Phoenix: 810-170st
  • Product number: E3W49AV

So, while not yet an "antique", it's past its "best before" date.

You might need to replace the motherboard (if possible, and if not very expensive), or replace the computer.

Not all 2013-vintage computers need replacing, but the remedy for a motherboard failure is replacement.

HP Recommended

@mdklassen

"It's time to replace the motherboard (if you can), or to replace the entire computer.

Note: a replacement motherboard, if available, can cost as much as a brand-new computer. Ouch!"

A brand new motherboard can cost as much as a new computer?Edited*** Between a new motherboard and a Envy Pheonix 810 that's probably more than a $1000 difference, the new computer option being much more money. Edited***

HP Recommended

Thank you for helping me

HP Recommended

Since the hp support is absolutely useless, I decided to reply on this topic.

I had a defect ram memory inside my probook and it can't start at all without it (no display, logically). Fan just started to blow at 100% when cpu temperature rises.

Try to replace the ram socket if you have some spare.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.