UsmanSherani
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Failed startup on hp envy

HP Recommended
HP ENVY h8 PC Series
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

On my HP Envy, upon start up it is stuck with ''starting automatic repair'' and then freezes, other times it starts up into the blue screen and when I tried to click automatic repair there it says it failed. As far as I'm aware there's been no recent changes in terms of software/hardware, etc. to the pc.

Read from some other threads to press esc then f2 to access a menu where I can run some tests, and have completed some of these tests:

Hard Disk Test: Everything passed (Hard Disk SMART Check and Hard Disk Short DST)

Start-Up test: Again, everything passed (processor check, memory check, hard disk SMART Check, Hard Disk Short DST, PCI Device Check)

Currently I'm running the extensive memory test and so far the processor test has passed and the memory test is in progress.

If I could be advised further to try to fix this so that I can boot up my pc, thank you.

1 REPLY 1
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> As far as I'm aware, there's been no recent changes in terms of software/hardware, etc. to the PC.

On the second Tuesday of each month, e.g., Tuesday September 11 2018, Microsoft releases security-updates for Windows and Office.  Applying those updates changes your software.

If you are using the built-in anti-virus software, it updates itself, about once per day.

> Hard Disk Test: Everything passed (Hard Disk SMART Check and Hard Disk Short DST)

> Start-Up test: Again, everything passed (processor check, memory check, ... PCI Device Check)

Your hardware seems to be in perfect working order.

So, it is your copy of the Windows software that has become corrupted.

When you start-up your computer, is there an "advanced" option available, to use "System Restore", to roll-back the critical Windows "system-files" back to a recent check-point?  Windows Update would have taken a checkpoint before it started changing your software.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation