Level 1
8 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fails to load OS. Gives error message

Pavillion 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is an HP Pavillion 23 All-In-One, 64 bit Windows Home Premium.

Here is the error message I get when turning on the computer:

Message starts here:

"Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard drive

Hard disk- (3FO)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit:

http://www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup.

Message ends here.

I tried 3 different hard drives with known good operating systems: Windows 10 Home Premium (orignal on this computer),  Windows 10 Pro, Windows Vista, Ubuntu.  

All disks yield the same error message,

Further, I get the message even without a hard drive physically installed.

None of the  F- keys work, any time.

The message is on a blue screen with black background.

I even have my rosary out to help me.  

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,296 2,009
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @tmradius, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you have issue booting into your PC and you are getting hard disk 3f0 when you run a hard drive test on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried installing the operating system using the recovery discs?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned you have issue booting into your PC and you are getting hard disk 3f0 when you run a hard drive test on your PC.

Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

The BIOS can be configured to specify the order in which the computer will access available bootable hardware devices.

The most common bootable devices are the internal hard drive, external USB drive, optical CD/DVD ROM drive, and network adapter.

If a device fails during the process of checking each device for the required bootable files, the computer verifies that another device is available.
If the computer BIOS checks all the listed devices but does not find the bootable files, an error message like one of the following is displayed: 3F0 error or Boot Device Not Found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Refer this article to know more information about Boot Device Not Found Error.

Also, if you don't have a set of recovery discs, please contact HP support and get the service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have followed the procedure, but none of the F keys work.  No matter what I do, the HP logo and that error message is all I get.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,296 2,009
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tmradius, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

It certainly seems to be a hardware issue with your PC. Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It was my conclusion also that it is a hardware issue.  There are two cables that go to the common connector mounted to accept connection to the hard drive by the two cables.   The hard drives heats up OK which tells me that the power cable is OK.  I have no way of verifying that the other cable (data) is OK.  I plan on doing a continuity check of the data cable.  But that will not tell me why the F keys do not work.  

Meanwhile I have the computer lying here with the back removed and I am marveling at the construction details but I am afraid that just staring a it is not going to fix it!     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation