Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fighting the HP System BIOS. Cannot disable UEFI because Windows wont boot afterward

Pavilion 20-b014
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Okay, I've been working on getting my 2nd PAvilion 20-b014 into a dual boot configuration for 3 days. I've scanned through tons of HP Support docs as well as Ubuntu support docs. I got Ubuntu loaded on a partition. I disabled Secure Boot and enabled Legacy Support.

The problem is that UEFI is a major pain in the butt. I downloaded EasyBCD to manage the dual boot only to find out it won't work with UEFI. Everyone says "Turn it off" But when I did, then I got a black screen that said there were no boot files. And Windows Manager is ONLY in UEFI, not Legacy. At the same time, I cannot access my Linux distribution anywhere. It loaded successfully and there's even a boot drive for it, but I cannot see it listed anywhere or access it. 

So I need to know how to get the Windows Manager into Legacy so I can turn UEFI off completely. Supposedly then EasyBCD will work and then I can get my dual boot going so I can actually use Linux.

It's either that or delete the whole thing and use it as a hockey puck.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 1
14 13 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fighting the HP System BIOS. Cannot disable UEFI because Windows wont boot afterward

UEFI is a specific way of configuring your hard disk and OS install.

If your laptop came with Windows pre-installed under UEFI and you turn UEFI off, then you can no longer boot that install of Windows.

You would need to re-install Windows as a Legacy / BIOS (non-UEFI) setup for it to work with UEFI turned off.

Windows failing when you turn UEFI off would happen with any hardware. It is because of the difference between the two types of configurations. This is not a HP problem.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I hope it helps to explain the reason why you are getting this issue when you turn off UEFI.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation