Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 24-xa All-in-One Desktop PC (5KF24AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hp pavilion all-in-one 24-xa1007 has the screen broken and it was connected to an external monitor until now. Due to something wrong with Windows, the computer doesn't fully start so it doesn't recognise the hdmi external monitor. I don't see much in the primary screen, but I see, between the cracks, it's trying  to  attempt a repair. Pressing ESC I can see the square frame of BIOS but I can't go further. I tried disconnecting the lcd panel (cable and ribbon) to force the system to find the hdmi monitor but then, the computer power button  blinks three times and power goes off. Is there any way to make the computer to recognise an HDMI monitor so I ca to enter in BIOS ?  And now, the odd question: can it be repaired by professionals? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Willow2022 -- can it be repaired by professionals? 

Probably. 

It might be possible to remove the disk-drive from inside the computer, connect the disk-drive to another computer -- one preferably WITHOUT an Internet connection -- and boot from that disk-drive. It should launch that "repair" process.  Also, since the professional can see what is on the screen, other things can be tried.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Willow2022 -- can it be repaired by professionals? 

Probably. 

It might be possible to remove the disk-drive from inside the computer, connect the disk-drive to another computer -- one preferably WITHOUT an Internet connection -- and boot from that disk-drive. It should launch that "repair" process.  Also, since the professional can see what is on the screen, other things can be tried.

HP Recommended

Hi @itsmyname. I tried plugging the drive in another computer but after trying to look for the OS partition I found out that it is installed in a SSD. Maybe I could remove it and install windows in the hard drive from other computer.

HP Recommended

@Willow2022 --  I found out that it is installed in a SSD.

Do you mean a 2-inch wide SSD that has connectors for "data" and for "power", or do you mean a "NVME" memory-stick that directly connects to a socket on the motherboard, in a similar way that RAM connects to a socket on the motherboard?  If it is the former type of SSD, can you boot from it on a different computer?

> Maybe I could remove it and install windows in the hard drive from other computer

Well, you could, but what would that prove?

What I think that you want is to connect the disk-drive to the other computer, boot the other computer, and let Windows try to "repair" the current installation on that disk-drive.

HP Recommended

Hi @itsmyname. Thanks for your help. The SSD is a memory-stick connected to a socket in MB. My other computer doesn't have that socket. I think I'm bringing the computer to be serviced. With more resources than mine, I think it'll be easy to repair. It's frustrating because I've always repaired my computers but maybe I have to give up.

HP Recommended

Hi again @itsmyname. Do you think I can put the SSD in an enclosure, connect it to my old computer and reboot it?

HP Recommended

@Willow2022 -- Yes, what you are suggesting will work fine.

See: 2.5" to 3.5" SSD HDD Tray Bracket Hard Drive Bay Caddy Adapter Mounting New | Best Buy Canada

for a very-inexpensive bracket to hold the SSD inside the drive-bay.

Of course, you will have to install Windows onto the new SSD, unless you use software like MACRIUM REFLECT to "clone" from your existing disk-drive (if it still is working OK) to the SSD.

HP Recommended

Hi @itsmyname. You've been very helpful. I've ordered the SSD enclosure (I have a laptop) and I'll try to recover the windows already installed. I'll keep you updated. Thanks

HP Recommended

@Willow2022 -- if your current disk-drive is a typical laptop disk-drive, then the SSD is exactly the same size, and no special adapter will be needed.  When you remove the current disk-drive, it may have some mounting hardware wrapped around the disk-drive. Use that mounting hardware around the SSD.

That adapter holds a 2.5-inch wide disk-drive or SSD, and is 3.5-inches wide, as are most "desktop" disk-drives.  It was designed to securely hold a SSD inside a drive-bay on a desktop computer.

HP Recommended

Hi @itsmyname. It's not a 2.5in sorry, for the confusion. It's a card plugged in the MB. I need the adapter. Thanks

IMG_20220124_112900.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.