Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 2 (140 Views)

Forgot Password Bios

Product Name: 80-4021la
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I forgot the password for the BIOS, and I'm trying to do a restored for the operating system, but it keeps sending me in circules since I don't have the password.  Any one could assist me on how to flash the BIOS, or be able to by pass the BIOS password option?  Please help!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (101 Views)

Re: Forgot Password Bios

Hi @resquivel24

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you forgot the bios password of your computer and wanted to know how to reset it.

I’d love to help!

There are a couple of ways to reset the bios. Follow any one of the below methods which you find easy.

DISCLAIMER: This information is intended for experienced users. Please do not try any of following procedures if you are not familiar with computer hardware. I am not responsible for the use or misuse of this information, including personal injury, loss of data or hardware damage. So, use it at your own risk.

By Removing CMOS Battery:

Almost all motherboards use a small coin sized CMOS battery to store all BIOS settings along with the password. To reset the password, unplug the PC, open the cabinet and remove the CMOS battery for approx. 15-30 minutes and then put it back. It'll reset all BIOS settings as well as the password and you'll need to re-enter all settings.

If it fails, then try to remove the battery for at least one hour.

By Using Motherboard Jumper:

Almost all motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. You should read your motherboard manual to check its location. If you don't have the manual, then look for the jumpers near the CMOS battery. Most of the manufacturer label the jumper as CLR, CLEAR, CLEAR CMOS, etc.

When you find the jumper, look carefully. There will be 3 pins and the jumper will be joining the center pin to either left or right pin. What you need to do, is remove the jumper and join the center pin to the opposite pin. e.g. if the jumper joins center pin to left pin, then remove it and join center pin to right pin. Now wait for a few seconds and then again remove the jumper and join the center pin to left pin.Make sure to turn the PC off before opening the cabinet and resetting the jumper.

By Using MS-DOS Command:

This method works only if you have access to the system when it's turned on because this method requires MS-DOS. Open Command Prompt from Programs menu and provide following commands one by one:

debug
o 70 2E
o 71 FF
quit

NOTE: The first character in the above commands is English alphabet "o" and not the number 0.After providing the above commands, restart your system and it should reset the CMOS Settings along with the BIOS password. If you are curious to know how it works? then let me explain the above commands:

In this method, we are using the Debug tool of MS-DOS. The "o" character present at first in these commands, outputs the values to IO ports. The number 70 and 71 are port numbers which are used to access CMOS memory. By providing FF value we are telling CMOS that there is an invalid checksum and it resets the CMOS settings as well as BIOS password.

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation