8 7 1 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Froze at HP screen

Slimline s5412p-b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Froze at HP screen , can only " cntl-alt-del".
I've reset cmos, bought a stick of ram , bought a power supply. ... still froze. I removed drive, attached as external drive on another pc, the drive shows all folders. Ran diagnostics on hdd while attached to other pc. It del couple indexes. Is it safe to assume its the motherboard or did I miss something along the way. Help...pulling hair out (Its mothers pc). What ate my options? Big thank you for any help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Froze at HP screen

Hi

If you can access the BIOS and run diagnostics then do so please, not just on the HDD.

If you want to try a HARD RESET with your fingers crossed (I note yours is a Desktop)....

For most notebooks, press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to complete the reset.

BIOS recovery for most Laptops, as a last resort…

WinKey + B + PWR for 1 second.

OR

WinKey + V + PWR for 1 second.

However there are alternatives, and maybe a repair disk will help....

SELECT SECURE/LEGACY BOOT AS REQUIRED, & CHANGE THE BOOT  SEQUENCE ALSO AS NEEDED.

You go to the Microsoft website and use their creator tool to make a DVD/USB to boot from.

This can Repair/Recover/Rebuild/Re-Install, so start with the Automatic Repair and work from there.

If in doubt please ask.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 1 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Froze at HP screen

Hi. Can't get to bios, cant run the hp diag disk that I downloaded on that pc. I can get to the HP Logo screen. Only thing able to do is cntl-alt-del.
At one point I did get to bios, enabled thw show boot screen, restarted, then after Enabling USB Controllers, done.......then froze. I did get into pc twice (Win10) ran hpdiag, while away it stopped so.ewhere and then back to freezing at Hp logo. Thats I tried the hardware.It did let me in once when I flopped the ram around (let me inwith one stick). But only that one time. Tried buying new didnt work. Thank you
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 1 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Froze at HP screen

Forgot to mention that I tried to run the hp diag disk from the dvd drive. I heard the drive turn on but it did. not run the disk. Do you think I should try something else from that drive? Thx
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Froze at HP screen

Hi

I have some ideas.

What I find strange is the RAM not behaving as expected.

Try a boot disk or usb, plug in/insert prior to power on.  Power on and atttempt to access the bios, resequence the boot order, and boot from the media.

I use ESC at PWR on then F9.

Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 1 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Froze at HP screen

Hi..I thought ram weird too. I did try to boot to dvd drive with the HP diag disk for exactly this situation. Nothing. I physically reset the cmos (changed boot order) and enabled boot display (it stopped at USB controller). I flipped ram around until I got in with one stick (only once) I changed the battery, bought one stick of exact same ram (didn't work). so bought new power supply (nope). Does it not have to be the mobo at this point? Thx.... I have not tried a thumb drive. What should I try and run from it. FYI.. Only have 3 keys that work at the HP screen (warm boot).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 1 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Froze at HP screen

What if the battery I used was weak or ng. I just thought of that. Would that cause this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Froze at HP screen

Hi

Well lets get into the realms of really silly.

If the ram and keyboard are intermittent, then it suggests the common point of the mainboard.

So if it is not working remove the hard disk drive (and anything else you can to break the cycle) and try with it removed, because I cannot tell if it is failing at Power On Self Test (POST) or not, then added back in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 1 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Froze at HP screen

So I don't waste your time, what should I plug into the mobo?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 1 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Froze at HP screen

Disconnected everything, removed ram. only thing still attached is monitor , keyboard, psu and 2 fans. Powered on......got short then long beep continuous, screen black. ?????
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation