Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Graphics Card GT710 on HP P6-2020chm does not boot. BIOS issue?

Pavilion p6-2020chm
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I need to instal a new graphics card because the old one is almost broken.

The new one is no fancy card, just a GT710.

When I start the PC up it goes to the Startup screen where I can select Startup menu and freezes there.

I checked if there is a BIOS Update and there is one indeed (I have 7.14 AMI 2ABF). If I put p6-2020chm into the search on hp.com I get forwarded to p6-2000 series where I find under windows 7 an update to 7.23A. But when I execute the safuwin command in the bat manually on a admin-cmd I get "incorrect BIOS for the system". I even tried Boot-USB stick with dos and afudos - there I get the message "error: BIOS is write protected".

What else can I do?

Thanks in advance, Sven

Edit:

I tried  AMI Firmware Update Utility v3.09.03.1462

46 - Error: Problem getting flash information.

AMI Firmware Update Utility(APTIO) v2.38_HP_v03

- Incorrect BIOS for the system.

The latter one will execute /O (-> save the current BIOS and download it) no problem.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,204 107,385 17,004 26,045
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Graphics Card GT710 on HP P6-2020chm does not boot. BIOS issue?

Hi:

Unfortunately, that card won't work unless your PC has a version 8.xx BIOS family.

If yours only goes up to 7.23, that won't be good enough.

You can only install a video card up to the Nvidia GT 6xx models when you have an older BIOS than 8.xx

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation