Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6-2020chm
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I need to instal a new graphics card because the old one is almost broken.

The new one is no fancy card, just a GT710.

When I start the PC up it goes to the Startup screen where I can select Startup menu and freezes there.

I checked if there is a BIOS Update and there is one indeed (I have 7.14 AMI 2ABF). If I put p6-2020chm into the search on hp.com I get forwarded to p6-2000 series where I find under windows 7 an update to 7.23A. But when I execute the safuwin command in the bat manually on a admin-cmd I get "incorrect BIOS for the system". I even tried Boot-USB stick with dos and afudos - there I get the message "error: BIOS is write protected".

What else can I do?

Thanks in advance, Sven

Edit:

I tried  AMI Firmware Update Utility v3.09.03.1462

46 - Error: Problem getting flash information.

AMI Firmware Update Utility(APTIO) v2.38_HP_v03

- Incorrect BIOS for the system.

The latter one will execute /O (-> save the current BIOS and download it) no problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, that card won't work unless your PC has a version 8.xx BIOS family.

If yours only goes up to 7.23, that won't be good enough.

You can only install a video card up to the Nvidia GT 6xx models when you have an older BIOS than 8.xx

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, that card won't work unless your PC has a version 8.xx BIOS family.

If yours only goes up to 7.23, that won't be good enough.

You can only install a video card up to the Nvidia GT 6xx models when you have an older BIOS than 8.xx

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.