Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 570-P060ND
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a dual-boot system (Windows10+Ubuntu18.04). Sometimes I get the prompt >grub instead of the grub menu. When I enter the command "exit", the grub menu shows, and I can choose either Windows10 or Ubuntu. In other cases I do get the grub menu immediately. How can I get the grub menu ALWAYS at startup?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

Don't know.

I have 5 boot managers, and sometimes a Windows update gives W10 priority, sometimes a Lubuntu update makes it's boot manager number one.  Maybe the HDD is failing, or just failing to find the loader.  Grub is flaky IMHO.

F5/F6 may re-arrrange the sequence.

HP Recommended

@Parbo

For issues with GRUB and Ubuntu, you would really do better checking the Ubuntu Forums:  http://ubuntuforums.org/

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@Boyblue: Your screendump (Thanks!) is what I see when I press Control+Alt+Del followed by repeatedly pressing Esc. This is the difficult way of getting the UEFI startup screen. I only found out recently that typing "exit" at the >grub prompt is much easier. But the best thing would be to ALWAYS get the grub menu at startup.

You are right in saying that sometimes the system cannot find the boot files, but I cannot explain why.

HP Recommended

@WAWood. In a way, you are right. Ask Ubuntu often gives the right answers. The reason why I chose HP community this time is because some of the solutions are HP related, e.g. the way to get into the BIOS. Thanks for your tip.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.