Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion P6540F
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi gang-

I have an HP P6540F model desktop.

Actually:
HP Pavilion p6540f Desktop PC

I believe it is this motherboard/model:
Infineon-B 612498-001  -  H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) +

chip set: (I believe)
AMD 785G

The BIOS failed on an update..  and now I only get a black screen.. and after 20+ minuites or so..  a consistent beep.  (there is no 'code'.. its just an over and over beep).

If I try any other sort fo boot or BIOS re-flashing.. (using a USB drive with just the BIO image/bin on.. or renaming to any other variant I have read about.. as well as using ctrl+home, win+b/v keys.. F2, F2 + atl, F9, F10 every 1 second..etc...ESC...)

Nothing works.. as a matter of fact.. when I have a USB drive inserted and boot up.. I only get ever get the '3' beep post code  (bios utility or .bin missing).. but of course.. I have all named variants on the stick..  I have tried the HP 3-in-1 Diag util. the HP Vision DIag tools.. and a FreeDOS bootable with the files in _root of the drive..   and nothing has ever given me different results than the '3' beeps.

I -thought- I mihgt have been in a good place when I got the 3 beeps with a USB inserted.. (as to me, this indicated the machine was in fact seeing the USB stick)..  but alas,.. nothing has worked so far.

Unless someone has the time/energy to post some specific steps  (and just link to to some article that is out of date or doesnt apply)...

I am at the point where I am going to try and pull the motherboard and solder some wires/pigtail to the brokewn out I/O pads next to the BIOS chip.. and try and external serial programmer/flasher.

However I can NOT seem to find the documentation on-line for these pins?  (order..etc)

Does anyone have a link to this info?  I cant seem to find anything on-line about this?  (or a motherboard manual at all?!)

I think I 'found' where the BIOS chip is located on the board.. and there are a set of solder pads next to it (which makes sense)... but I dont have any information on these pads?   Can anyone be of help here?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @whispers_007,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you require assistance with booting back to windows as the computer failed to boot after a failed bios update/ It will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• It looks like a hardware issue with the computer.

Please perform these steps for a start from this link: http://hp.care/2toTU35

Then try to perform a bios recovery by following the steps from this link: http://hp.care/2yPPwZM

If that does not work, try using the image that you’ve downloaded and check again by updating the bios.

• If the issue continues, then the computer needs to be repaired. If the computer is more than 3 years old then service options with HP are no longer available because the original suppliers and manufacturers who manufacture and supply the parts to HP to build and service the computer don't do so anymore.

• So please contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician or any local technician to get it repaired, as long as the cost is not prohibitive. I am not beating around the bush and am keeping your best interest in mind. If the cost of repair is almost the cost of a new computer.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@DavidSMP

Thank you for the reply.

I will try all those steps again, in order and patiently.  (but I believe i have already in my defense)..

In your comments you say this:

"If that does not work, try using the image that you’ve downloaded and check again by updating the bios."

Can you please elaborate on that for me?  What exact steps are you saying to take here?

Empty USB with my alo6.09 'file' on it?   What hsould it be renamed too?  SHould the USB be formatted in any particular way?   With any sort of 'boot' image/files on it?  (DOS/FreeDOS...etc?)

I have read so many different approaches, but none for my system.

Also, can I ask if there is a manual for my mother board?  I see the BIOS chip is NOT removable...  but looks to have the pins (8) broken out on the motherboard, which I assume is for quick/factory/engineer flashing?

Is there a place to find the pinout for it?  I have some serial programmers here, if there are some steps to do it that way as well?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @whispers_007,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. The motherboard repair or replacement could turn out to be expensive and should be considered as a last resort. You've done amazingly well with your technical expertise, immaculate patience and a never say die spirit to try and fix the issue.Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

Now this information may not suffice for the pin details of the selected components of the motherboard, but it is a good beginning. You could try to google this information based on the motherboard name and type of processor. 

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance. However as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician  before proceeding to upgrade the unit

so that there are no compatibility issues  and the computer operates smoothly.

Now coming to the USB flash drive relating to the bios update please check this link: http://hp.care/2rZhONT 

• You get 2 methods to perform a bios update. One with the keyboard combination, the other by downloading the bios recovery file to a USB flash drive and updating it from the flash drive.
  • Although this article refers to a notebook, the steps involved are still relevant for a desktop as well. 
  • You need to visit this link: http://hp.care/2fW9WZY  and download the bios to a 32 GB USB flash drive and then follow the steps from the previous link on how to update the bios using the USB memory stick. There is an associated video with it as well.

I genuinely hope the computer is revived and it works great and stays healthy for a long time. Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. It has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you and a fabulous experience to work with you.

If you think this information helped, then to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. Also mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead and stay healthy 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.