cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rugbydive9
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

H8-1423 stuck on HP logo during boot after regular shutdown, but boots fine after a hard shutdown

HP Recommended
H8-1423
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
When I shutdown the proper way (Start -> Shutdown) then the next time I use the PC it gets stuck on the HP logo during boot and there is no loading circle. If I do a hard shutdown (hold power button for 5 seconds) then next time I use the PC it boots up perfectly fine
5 REPLIES 5
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After powering-on the computer, launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics, to check the hardware.

Is the HP Warranty for the computer still active?

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Rugbydive9
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The PC is over 5 years old so the warranty has expired.

What am I supposed to check in the Hardware Diagnostics?

The HP Support Troubleshooting guide on the PC just suggests doing a Hard Reset which is what I've been doing, but feel it might be a bad method to be doing daily.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Rugbydive9@  wrote:
The PC is over 5 years old so the warranty has expired.
What am I supposed to check in the Hardware Diagnostics?
The HP Support Troubleshooting guide on the PC just suggests doing a Hard Reset which is what I've been doing, but feel it might be a bad method to be doing daily.

Obviously, the disk-drive is out-of-warranty.  It could be the cause of the symptoms.

Check "everything" in the Diagnostics, except the ROM & the IRQ tests -- they seem to report "false positive" results.

I agree -- a Hard Reset should not be a daily event.

0 Kudos
JE_framp
Level 1
8 8 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Hp H8 pc, despite its age is still perfectly ok.

I would recommend backing up the files and reloading the computer.

Before reload I would suggest you replace hard drive, with a solid state one. (or a 2TB western digital). as it will speed the. Pc up as well. The pc appears to take any Sata drive. The original reload disks could be used or you could cheaply buy a copy of windows and download the drivers.

It is definitely cheaper to repair the pc than to replace it and it is certainly more environmentally friendly. 

I have a Hp Vectra pc that is almost 20 years old working fine. Hp tend to last.

A new hard drive and a fresh install of windows should keep it running for about 3 years +.

If you need to you could also upgrade the memory for an even faster and more powerful desktop.

a hard reset seems a faf and a stuck windows logo usually   means a software or hard drive issue.

hope this helps.

You may also find a device is plugged in e.g. Memory stick or an additional card e.g sound card is causing driver issues. 

Furthermore a virus could affect windows entirely.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JE_framp@  wrote:

The Hp H8 pc, despite its age is still perfectly ok.

>>> H8-1423 stuck on HP logo during boot after regular shutdown, but boots fine after a hard shutdown

There is something incongruent about saying "perfectly OK" while at the same time, the computer has this symptom.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation