Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 110 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product No. J4W31AA#ABA

The PC has been flawless until a few days ago. When I turn on the power button, the PC will try to boot for 3-4 seconds, then suddenly shuts off. The, it starts to reboot. Then, the same thing happens. Sometimes though, I can boot into Windows. And then suddenly, the power is off.

This is what I have tried:

1. I bought a new 65W charger. No help

2. I unplugged printer/mouse/DVD-drive/keyboard one-by-one. No help

3. I ran HP Hardware Diagnosis,. No error was found

4. I unplugged the power cord, pressed the on/off button for 10 seconds. No help

5. I checked Windows Event Viewer. Nothing there about hardware failure except it says Windows shut down unexpectfully

6. I re-mounted the BIOS battery. No change

7. I re-seated the memory stick. No difference

8. Both CPU and case fans are clean and running fine

9. I don't play games on this PC. CPU temp is in the 30C range

The power loss was so strange that even during Windows in Sleep mode, it would occur.

Has anybody experienced the same issue that I have? I begin to suspect it's the motherboard. The capacitors look fine (not bulging). The charging port is soldered to MB nicely tight. Other than trashing the PC, is there anything I can try? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion.

I think I fixed the problem. My machine boots perfectly now. It's also noticeably faster and quieter.

This is what I did: I took the DIMM out again, rubbed it with cloth and alcohol and re-seated it back. Voila!

Oxidation is a natural process that would occur over time. It's August. It has rained a lot. Humidity is extremely high (HVAC is not on because temperature is not hot enough). So I think the combination of aging and humidity causes my problem. Good thing it's an easy fix.

If somebody is experiencing similar issues, I hope this post is helpful.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

If the new external power supply and power cord are known to be good then you are experiencing power cycling.

Power cycling can be caused by a short: from the motherboard (MB), a component connected to the MB, or a peripheral device connected to the PC.

You have to troubleshoot components and peripherals as you proceed down to a possible bad MB.

You have done a lot of work. It looks like the MB may be in trouble.

You referred to checking Windows Event Viewer, having sleep issues, and running HP Diagnostics. This suggests Windows runs. This is perplexing. Have you run the Microsoft System File Checker (Link)? Run DISM and SFC.

Power cycling means Windows does not start.

Have you tried backing up data and reinstalling Windows clean?

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion.

I think I fixed the problem. My machine boots perfectly now. It's also noticeably faster and quieter.

This is what I did: I took the DIMM out again, rubbed it with cloth and alcohol and re-seated it back. Voila!

Oxidation is a natural process that would occur over time. It's August. It has rained a lot. Humidity is extremely high (HVAC is not on because temperature is not hot enough). So I think the combination of aging and humidity causes my problem. Good thing it's an easy fix.

If somebody is experiencing similar issues, I hope this post is helpful.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

PC's are very complex. 

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.