• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

HP 280 G1 ST processor upgrade

HP Recommended
HP 280 G1 ST

Hi I have bought an HP 280G1 ST pc wich cames with a Intel core i3I4170. Can I upgrade to Core i5 4460 ?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,204 41,454 4,526 11,876
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No.

The Maintenence and service guide for your desktop PC shows that the i3 processor is the top of the line processor option. There are two other processors that are compatible and they are Intel Pentium and Celeron versions. 

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/action.process/public/psi/manualsDisplay/?s...

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread #Don'tBeAntisocialWearAMask
#PracticeSocialDistancing
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, the manual you send me is not correct, my computer is not the microtower , is the slimline, hp 280 G1 ST Business PC , is it possible to upgrade to core i5? Thanks you very much

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

According to the following manual from the support page for your HP 280 G1 ST, the  Intel Core i3-4170 processor is the only compatible processor. It is the only processor it is sold with. 

So the answer is still a no.

Upgrading your entry level business PC is not such a viable option. I have not yet found a source where anyone has stated that they have had success upgrading the CPU.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04887155

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

0 Kudos
Level 1
11 8 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I upgraded to Core i5-4590 and it works well 1 year after the upgrade.

rgds

zacharias    zach@zelec.se

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@zecharia

Would you mind showing that with a few images?

How about a screenshot with the PC booted into Windows and CPU-z showing the installed CPU?

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
11 8 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System_setup.jpg

Is this screen enough for you? This computer was bought in Sweden a year ago and I exchanged the cpu right away since it just had  the slowest one installed. HP Swden said it would be ok, and it is. 16GB DRAM.  Win7 SP1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How about an image of the system information screen in the BIOS?

It is further information for people who have the same system as yours.

When you share these things it is sharing it forward with others looking for information. 

It takes the risk out of making a processor upgrade that HP's own publication said was not viable.

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
11 8 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

as you do not trust my sincerity, there is no use in going further.

For me computer is a tool, not an end in itself.

I solve my problems and go on.

I was looking for info if  there is any BIOS update that I have to install

in order to use the i5 to its full potential.

But support was closed and I ended up here.

rgds

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It would have been nice if you would have posted the other picture of BIOS as it would have helped me out trying to upgrade to a better processor

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation