Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 290 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I fixed a BSOD issue on a PC for an old neighbour and then took it back to there house and it would not turn on, the fans fire up for  2-3 seconds then it turns off and keeps repeating this automatically. I tried taking the RAM out to see if this was the cause and it turns on and stays on giving the expected bleeps saying RAM is missing. So I tried putting the RAM into the other slot to see fi it was maybe the RAM slot and this time it turns on but all I get is a black screen saying "no video connection" but the PC is running - the power button light then is flashing slowly. 

Any ideas on what I could try other than below? I havent got the PC currently and will have to go back one night but its a bit away from me so want to have everything ready

- Clear CMOS or reseat it

- Test different RAM (if I can find any same spec)

- Test a dedicated GPU   

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jasew1010 

Based on your comments, it sounds like a RAM slot has gone bad -- and this does happen.  Another poster here had the same issue but they used compressed air to clean out the RAM slot and it worked again.  That might be worth trying.

Since the RAM works in the current slot, there would be no point in trying to add more RAM unless you have tested the other slots as well.

Also, it sounds like the video chip has failed -- so yes, trying an add-on card would be a good thing to do.

To determine the cause with hardware failures, you have to be able run diagnostics. We have no way of accessing your PC from here, so we can not do that for you. You have to do it yourself.

You do this by pressing the Esc key repeatedly when rebooting and then, when the HP Startup Menu appears, selecting Diagnostics (usually F2) and letting it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.