Level 1
13 12 0 1
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 510 p-136 SSD not recognized after BIOS update

HP 510 p-136
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I replaced my HDD with a Samsung SSD 850 Pro and had everything working fine.  I did a BIOS upgrade (81B4) from F16 to F18.  F18 doesn't allow a roll back.  Now when I try and boot with the SSD, it hangs on the Hit Esc Key to enter setup page.  If I go back to the HDD, it boots fine.  What can I do to get the boot process to recognize the SSD again?  I only have 1 SATA power port, so I can't boot the PC with the HDD and also have access to the SSD.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,893 20,793 1,154 1,242
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@twkellen

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Computer. I understand that the hard disc is not recognized and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Perform a hard reset.

Restore BIOS default settings.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.

2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.

3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.

4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.

5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?

6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.

Reseat the hard drive.

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
13 12 0 1
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem is that whenever I have the SSD attached as the boot drive, no matter what I press the System Info screen comes up and states ' Press ESC to enter setup', but pressing escape doesn't do anything.  After the BIOS update, it will not recognize this drive as a boot drive.  If I attach it externally through a USB cable (and use the original HDD as the boot drive) I can see all the files that I cloned over.  It seems something with the F18 Rev A BIOS file has caused the SSD to be unrecognizable.

Is there anything I can do to change the BIOS file.  F18 states that it will not allow any roll back so I don't know how to get the BIOS to recognize the drive.  It was working fine before the BIOS update.

Highlighted
Level 1
13 12 0 1
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have also tried to format the SSD, reinstall the BIOS update, and have also tried to use the Windows Button and B key at start up and none of the above have helped.  I read somewhere that clearing the CMOS might help.  I could not find the 'bridge' on the motherboard, but did take out the battery and wait 30 seconds and replace / restart.  No luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
13 12 0 1
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the only reason I did the BIOS update in the first place - ENHANCEMENTS: 
-Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly
transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous
releases.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,893 20,793 1,154 1,242
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@twkellen

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Create a recovery using USB flash drive.

Click here and refer the document to recover your computer from USB flash drive.

Then perform BIOS roll back.

Click here and refer the document to recover bios .

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
13 12 0 1
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The system recover document is for Windows 8.  Is there one for Windows 10?  Also, even though it indicates that f.18 won't allow a roll back, you are confident that completely wiping my system and starting over will allow me to go back to f.16?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@twkellen

as @sandytechy20 is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

Ideally, reinstalling the Windows operating system does not have an impact on the BIOS. Therefore, I suggest you to perform a crisis BIOS recovery using the following method:

• Turn off the computer.

• With the computer off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

• Still pressing those keys, press and hold down the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys until the BIOS update screen is displayed or until you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything appears on the display. You might also hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.

Figure : HP BIOS Update screen

Photo of HP BIOS Update screen showing a progress indicator

• After the BIOS is recovered, a Continue Startup button displays and a timer counts down. Click the Continue Startup button to restart the computer immediately. The computer will restart automatically when the timer reaches zero.

Figure : HP BIOS Update screen

Photo of HP BIOS Update screen showing a Continue Startup button

• When the computer restarts, a black screen appears with a message similar to the following:

A system BIOS Recovery has occurred. 
    BIOS Recovery (500) 
    Enter - Continue Startup

Press the Enter key to continue immediately or allow the computer to reboot automatically.

NOTE: After restoring the BIOS, if the computer repeatedly displays a message about the BIOS, go to the HP Drivers and Downloads page and enter the model name of your computer. Select your computer model from the drop down menu and then select your operating system. Select BIOS to upload the latest version of the BIOS.

• After restarting, Windows may display a message stating that the computer was improperly shut down or that a boot problem was detected. Read and respond to the screens to continue.

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
13 12 0 1
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.  So even though f.18 says that it won't allow a rollback to anything before f.18, you are saying that this process will allow the system to go back to f.16?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@twkellen

You're welcome. 🙂

When you upgrade the BIOS on your PC, a copy of the previous BIOS version is stored in the HP_TOOLS partition of your hard drive. Many HP computers have an emergency BIOS recovery feature that allows you to recover and install the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive, as long as the hard drive remains functional. This emergency recovery feature is separate from the BIOS and is designed to work in the event of a catastrophic BIOS failure. (Source: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04126730)

Hope this helps. Cheers! 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation