Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 8200 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

Yesterday added SSD to my 8200 SFF, just swapped out HDD and reinstalled W10 pro from USB, worked no problem.

Added HDD again with new SATA cable, could only get to boot from HDD, but could see SSD in file manager. So swapped over cables tried different ports with and without various drives connected... thought might be damaged cables/loose connections.

In the end updated bios to 2.28 pressed reset on motherboard.

Then for some reason fast boot/startup from SSD and could see HD in file manager... great!

Today turned on pc, light to mouse only  not on keyboard, then fan started to go mad.  

So pulled out cables, pressed reset again. In the end now boots from HDD and can see SSD as before.

Any ideas what i am doing wrong or how to fix?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Just an update.

Not yet fixed, as can only boot from hdd and access ssd , not the other way around.

But the problems of non booting and fans going mad, was caused by using the light blue sata port. Not using and now boots fine.

HP Recommended

@Koopa1

Your SATA ports on the motherboard are different colors?

Mine has a similar situation and in the BIOS, the default for one color (I forget which one) is IDE, the default for the other is AHCI.

I have my SSDs and HDDs connected to the AHCI ports, the DVDs connected to the IDE ports.

Should check your UEFI/BIOS settings to see if you have a similar setup with different configs for the different ports.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

Basically figured that that 1 st port dark blue SSD, 2nd light blue wont take normal HDD , 3rd white optical, 4th black HDD.

Once i put in a spare HDD in black port, that didnt have a W10 on it , PC would boot as i wanted.

So normal working with SSD as boot and HDD for storage.

For some reason was booting off HDD continually.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.