Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After changing from the IDE bios settings to the AHCI HP 8300 SFF crashed. Only black screen when power on. After 50-60 seconds the fans turn on at max. I have / had BIOS version 2.9.

Any new ideas beyond buying a new motherboard?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't change the drive controller settings like that unless you reinstall Windows.

Did you just change the settings and expect Windows to boot up?

If so, you were mistaken.  The PC will crash every time.

If you cannot boot up the PC with Windows 7 installation media and reinstall W7, then something else is wrong.

HP Recommended

After changing the IDE-> AHCI settings in the BIOS, the whole computer crashed. There is only a black screen after power on. BIOS DOES NOT START, does not test, nothing can be changed.

The last time I saw loading anything from the disks was before changing the BIOS.

I disconnected everything from the computer for several hours.
I reset CMOS (30sec) several times. I took out the battery from the motherboard for several hours.
The computer only squeaked once that the clock was incorrect and then died again

The solution to the above problem described in this forum was: replace the motherboard.

e.g

Bricked Elite 8300 SFF Motherboard after change from IDE to AHCI  

HP 8300 Ultra Slim - won't boot  

Maybe someone discovered a different path?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.