2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP All-in-one is shutting down when LCD Converter is connected

HP Recommended
Pavilion 23 Model: 23-f217c
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with my brother's HP all in one computer. He has not been able to get it to boot to the OS for a few years now (lost the power supply). Recently I had my laptop over his house and the chargers are the same, so we tried to power it up, but after the large HP symbol appears the computer will shutdown. The fan stops spinning, no beeping or other noises are heard, and the power button light stays on. If we press the power button again, nothing happens.

Here are things that I've tried after searching google for the last couple of days:

• Hard Reset - by holding the power button for 30 seconds, and also after opening the computer by removing he CMOS battery for a few minutes.
    1. this didn't solve any issues
  • Run Diagnostic Tests - I'm able to get to the Diagnostic Testing page after doing a hard reset, but the computer will shut down after a few minutes so I'm not able to check the System completely (not even the quick test). I tried checking components by themselves (Memory, Processor, Hard Drive) and all passed.
    1. I stopped checking other components after that because of the computer shutting down, and my original thought was that the HDD was the issue because it wouldn't boot to the OS. After the HDD passed I stopped.
  • BIOS Edits - I changed the settings back to default, but still the computer shuts down when trying to boot to OS.
  • System Restore - unable to get to this, everytime I press the F11 key when the computer is booting up it immediately shuts down.

After that, I figured that maybe some hardware is causing the issue so I started unplugging items from the motherboard. I first started with the RAM (tried 1 and then the other, and flipped them between slots as well), disconnected LAN, CD Drive, Speakers, WebCam. Still the same issue.

Once I got to the LCD Converter and unplugged that from the motherboard, the computer did not shut down after a few minutes. I couldn't see anything, but I could hear the HDD spinning and little LED lights blnking (visually it looked like it was running normal, but I couldn't see anything on the LCD), and I was able to put the computer to SLEEP mode by pressing the power button once. After sleep mode, I touched the screen and the computer powered back up and I could hear the HDD once again. Put it on sleep mode a 2nd time, but this time using the keyboard sleep button and then powered it off.

I checked the cable (long 8-wire cable) that runs from the motherboard to the LCD Converter Board for any breaks or shorts using my multimeter, but there were no issues with the cable. There's another cable (shorter one with only 4 wires) that runs from the Converter Board to the Backlight (I'm assuming) and that also had no issues for breaks or shorts. If I disconnect the shorter cable from the Backlight but leave the longer cable connected to the motherboard, the computer will run and not shut down and I can hear the HDD spinning. This is where I stopped.

Anyone ever have the same issue? Is it safe to assume that the Backlight can not cause the computer to shutdown? Could the LCD Converter Board be faulty or is this a motherboard issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

2 REPLIES 2
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 663
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@si91ef9,

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers to your technical queries.

I understand that after all the troubleshooting steps still the issue is not fixed, need not worry I'll be glad to assist you.

Appreciate all your time and efforts, It looks like an issue with the connector on the system board.

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
si91ef9
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Would a bad video or graphics card cause the computer to shutdown?
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation