Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite
Linux

I have an Intel i7 based desktop (HP Compaq 8200 Elite) which I used to run on Ubuntu 14.04 for the past 4 years. Last week the Grub menu appeared but Ubuntu didn't boot. After couple of restarts the Grub menu also stopped appearing.   Just a blank screen with a blinking cursor. I connected a graphics card to eliminate the possibility of on-board graphics failure; but no good. 
I tried the following:

• Tried to boot the HP from an Ubuntu 18.04 pendrive - Didn't boot.
  • Tried to boot the HP from another HDD with CentOS - Didn't boot.
  • Connected an HDD with Win7 - System booted without any issue.
  • Connected the Ubuntu HDD on my laptop - Ubuntu booted without any issue.

Assuming the issue is with by HP i7 desktop, I connected the Ubuntu hard disk drive on two other HP Compaq 8200 Elites, both running Windows. Both didn’t boot; similar behaviour; blank screen with blinking cursor. 

Then I connected Ubuntu hard disk drive to another Intel i7 based machine (not HP); which booted without any issue.

I am completely puzzled by this behavior. What could be wrong with the HP i7s desktops, which is stopping Linux from booting ?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thank you, Lil_Boy_Blue for the suggestion.

I tried various things including updating bios to v2.32. But no good.  Desktop is NOT able to boot ANY flavors of Linux; but able to boot Windows.

HP Recommended

I have just done an install of Xubuntu 18.04.2 onto a HP Elite 8300 and to get to the login screen I have to press Ctrl Alt Delete *two* times to get it to progress on from seeing a black screen with a flashing cursor on the top left.   Once I do this it works perfectly.   This is with the EFI options enabled and legacy disabled.  

I installed from a dvd using the desktop's internal dvd drive.

This issue is not present when using Windows 10  1803.

So hope this helps someone.   I spent a lot of time trying different things in the BIOS to do with legacy and EFI boot options & then found all I had to do was Ctrl   Alt   Delete & repeat that once it had gone back to the flashing cursor.

HP Recommended

Thank you JohnB577 for the response.  

It did't work for me; as ctrl+alt+del reboots the system and back to the blinking cursor..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.