Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq MT 6200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yes, I know this computer is very much out of warranty - but hopefully the community knows how to help.

I've got an HP Compaq 6200 MT pc and I'm running into an issue where if I have my USB3, 4TB Western Digital MyBook plugged into it, it refuses to boot.

When you power the PC on with it plugged in, it shows the "HP" boot logo, but nothing else happens. It stays there forever.

When you power the PC on without it plugged in, it boots just fine - and I can plug the drive in after it boots up and it is recognized by the OS with no problem whatsoever.

I've upgraded the BIOS to the latest version, which was supposed to fix a problem where the PC wouldn't boot if a drive larger than 2TB was plugged in, but this hasn't solved the problem. 

Strangely, I've noticed that if I plug the hard drive into the computer while I'm in the BIOS, the bios freezes and won't respond to any input. Once I unplug the drive, the BIOS responds normally. This isn't the case for any other drive/USB stick I've plugged in.

I've made sure to set the boot order correctly to boot from the internal drive, as well as ensured that the "Removable Media Boot" is set to "Disabled" and that "Hard Drive Boot Order" is set to "No Change". Other than that, the BIOS settings have been reset to defaults as per the patchnotes for the BIOS update I performed earlier.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated to try and help fix this. If I can't find any solutions here I'll probably head off to Western Digital's website to see if they've got a community forum and maybe someone's had the same problem there.

Thanks 🙂

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

While it could be a number of possible reasons, this article might help you with the troubleshoting steps.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/unable-to-boot-windows-with-external-hard-drive-attached/

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.