14 8 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Desktop PC dead after unsuccessfull BIOS update

HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-017ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

While updating the BIOS via below packages the power disconnected abruptedly.

Since then the desktop will not turn on. No fan. No spinning. No lights. except for a solid green light on the power supply.

Initially, I have done selected error seeking myself:

- Replace CMOS battery

- Move the CMOS jumpers

- Remove the graphics card

- Remove the RAM

- Replace the power supply with alternate power supply

After this I gave up and handed the desktop to an IT Repair Center. Their diagnosis is what I feared: the the CMOS could not be fixed, and that the motherboard is fried.

The guarantee period is over.

Does HP offer any support, or do I need to purchase a new motherboard myself.

Other options?

----

HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-017ng

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B4B) - A0.59 Rev.A

From A0.07 Rev.A to A0.59 Rev.A (SP74321.exe)

P/N: P3H44EA

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings Cbonde,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

I can't answer for HP but I checked HP Part Surfer. HP does not offer this component for purchase.

However, Newegg has the MB. It is kind of pricey for a Z170 MB. You could Google other sites for a better price..

Generally, HP would have to add microcode to the new MB so it will work with your HP Recovery discs. That will also cost extra.

Or, if you don't want to have HP tattoo the MB, you could do a clean W10 installation. Then see if Microsoft will activate since it is the same MB minus the HP ID in the BIOS. This would probably have to be done over the phone.

Other option is to buy a new PC.

You could get a different Asus, or Gigabyte, or MSI MB. But this adds additional complexity and costs if you get a newer MB.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

that starts with:

Many HP notebook computers have an emergency BIOS recovery feature that allows you to recover and install the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive, as long as the hard drive remains functional. This emergency recovery feature is separate from the BIOS and is designed to work in the event of a catastrophic BIOS failure.

Have you tried the above "recovery" method?

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
14 8 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I sent my HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-017ng to a PC Repair place, and they suggested to replace the motherboard.

They suggested a HP Thimphu Intel Z170 Envy Motherboard (same as original),

but I decided for an ASUS ROG STRIX Z270G GAMING

which is now inserted. Now the desktop turns on again!

I had to call Microsoft in order to re-activate Windows 10, which I think is not unusual after a big hardware change.

The PC Repair place told me that:

• Top I/O ports (USB, microphone, headphone) would not work anymore
  • Front LED Lighting would not work anymore. I had hoped that I could perhaps replace HP Phoenix Control software with ASUS AURA LIGHTING CONTROL

Any thoughts in here of my experience, and the "loss" of functionality with the new motherboard?

Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Cbonde,

Good to see you have the system running.

That's great you were able to activate Windows.

It is also good the font panel power switch works. This is sometimes a problem when you replace an HP motherboard with a retail motherboard. Loss of front audio and USB is common also.

The ASUS lighting usually works with the LEDs installed on the motherboard and add on RGB LEDs. I don't know if you can connect HP's front LEDs t o the RGB headers on the ASUS motherboard. Check it out, it may be possible.

Did the shop install ASUS AURA software so you can control the motherboard lighting? You can download and install this software by going to the ASUS Support site for your motherboard.

Regards

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation