Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Desktop T4A02AA CMOS issue- wont start, replaced multiple times

HP Desktop T4A02AA

Hello, 

We bought an HP desktop T4A02AA from Best Buy this March. Within 2 months we had to bring it in for servicing. The CMOS battery has been replaced at least 4 times within this time period. Same problem every time and now its out of warranty so Best Buy is saying- tough luck. 

Any recourse here? Not sure how to proceed but I do expect a system to last 3 years at least. Under a year is well- pretty bad. 

It seems that Best Buy has bungled this and HP doesnt want to be responsible either. Servicing each time has been provided by Best Buy. 

Thanks in advance, Sara 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You are light on details.

What failed to have the CMOS battery replaced as the solution. 

CMOS batteries have a life of upto 5 years in my view.

The CMOS is important because it holds the BIOS memory settings, but a computer will work with a missing/dead cmos battery, the BIOS time and date is set at 01/01/80 or whatever.  The amount of ram may need verifying and the HD parameters entering, but it still works.

So what are/were the symptoms?

Highlighted
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your fast response!! Just an FYI- We bought this system for my 94 year old great aunt.

She has a surge protector (newer) but has some power outages and I believe that may have triggered the initial CMOS outage and perhaps something else may have been damaged? The unit was bought at Best Buy so my dad kept bringing it to them for the inability to power up and they kept saying its the CMOS and resetting it etc.  

Maybe there is something connected to the CMOS that is now no longer functioning correctly? 

Anyway- the Geek Squad is saying that they cannot resolve the ongoing CMOS issue and that only HP would be able to resolve this.

It gets better....  I'm looking through all of the paperwork- my dad says the unit was bought March 2017 (this year) the paperwork says March 2016 which would likely put the whole thing out of any type of warranty. Regardless- the issue started immediately so perhaps there are defective parts. 

Thanks for your time and apologies for the long winded post... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just a note that the power surges actually occured when the system was not even on. 

The last time the unit ran for less than an hour after bringing it back home, she turned it off and it wouldnt turn back on. 

Green light in the front turns on but nothing else. 

I think that the geek squad people kept not diagnosing the problem correctly and now we are out of the warranty window. 

Regards, Sara 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Prego.

In the absene of anything specific, I can only say for a failure to start it is possible the power supply surges have damaged the Mainboard.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation