Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 27-p014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, so I suspect that the bios update through HP'S website for this model is somehow corrupt its self.  Link so said update - https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-27-p000-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series-touch/...

I went to do a bios update on this all-in-one since I was having a well known issue getting this to boot from CD which last week I had to do to an HP laptop and it fixed all the issue's with booting to CD. I do not mess around with the BIOS in any computer without reason and have done this to many computers in the past with no problems before. This will be my first time bricking a machine by doing a BIOS update. 

So I downloaded sp73867.exe and put it on a pen drive as the exucatable file and opened it up on the all in one through the O.S. (Windows 10 64-bit) and click run. The mouse locked up and I couldn't do anything further, so I turned the machine off and low and behold now it won't boot but gets power lights. 

Okay, so I then opened the EXE on a seperate computer to run the setup and prepare a recovery drive for the BIOS since this was my only option left. 

And it did THE SAME THING on a seperate computer. As soon as I hit run on the EXE the mouse locked up and I had to reboot. Luckily the second computer still boots fine and it did not corrupt anything. 

In theory I should be able to run this EXE within any computer and select the option to prepare a recovery drive for another computer, SO what's up with this BIOS UPDATE?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@crcc2

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the device doesn't boot into windows after the recent BIOS update,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted the combination keys to recover the bios?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

When you upgrade the BIOS on your PC, a copy of the previous BIOS version is stored in the HP_TOOLS partition of your hard drive. Many HP computers have an emergency BIOS recovery feature that allows you to recover and install the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive, as long as the hard drive remains functional. This emergency recovery feature is separate from the BIOS and is designed to work in the event of a catastrophic BIOS failure.

To recover an earlier version of the BIOS on your PC:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. With the computer off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

3. Still pressing those keys, press and hold down the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys until the BIOS update screen is displayed or until you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything appears on the display. You might also hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If this doesn't work, I'm afraid the only other way of repairing you device is by Contacting HP,

And getting the device repaired at the service center:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes I had already tried the windows key +B and no avail the machine is beeping 8 times. 

Why would this update lockup a completely seperate computer the same way it locked up the all-in-one?

I was trying to make a recoverable USB. 

I have never seen something like this happen.

HP Recommended

@crcc2

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

If you install the Bios that's made for one computer on another device,

It would crash, that's how it works, and since you aren't able to recovery the BIOS using the steps (link) shared,

I recommend you Contact HP to set up a repair or replacement order as advised earlier as this seems to be a hardware malfunction.

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Hi, I am well aware if you install a BIOS update on a machine that it is not intended for it will crash. 

But according to this HP document following step 3, I should be able to make a recovery usb drive on another working computer. 

This did not happen with this bios update it locked up the machine it was intended for and bricked the all in one and then locked up a completely seperate computer once I had a agreed to the terms and conditions.

Why would this happen? Especially to both machines? Unless something is wrong with the update itself. 

HP Recommended

@crcc2

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time, efforts and the clarification.

After reviewing your last post, I understand exactly what you mean and you are right, it could have been a corrupted file while it was being downloaded or the updated on the website is bad, however, it may be, the only way to resolve the issue, is to Contact HP.

They should be able to pickup, repair & return.

As there are no other ways of fixing the issue.

I hope that answers your query.

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, after BIOS update the computer wont boot to windows. I try remove the button battery and wait for few mins and put it back then try to start the computer, all i see is the hp logo.

The computer was working fine, until the BIOS update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.