Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY h8-1414 has black screen with 8 beeps

HP ENVY h8-1414
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP ENVY h8-1414 that is no longer booting.

I tried to update the BIOS on it, but it prompted to install .NET 3.5, and when I went to click to install it, the computer completely locked up.  I let it sit for 30 minutes, but nothing changed and I could not move the mouse.  The only thing I could do is to power the computer off.

Now when I power the HP ENVY h8-1414 on, the power light goes from white to orange, then beeps 8 times, then the power light goes back to white.  The screen stays blank the whole time.

I tried holding down Windows key + B and then power the machine on, but just get the 8 beeps.

I tried installing the BIOS on another machine to see if it would give the option to create a recovery flsh drive.

Based on this, 8 beeps means a BIOS or CMOS problem (ROM).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

The corrective Perform BIOS recovery with external media (USB/CD-ROM).

I have looked for how you create a BIOS recovery for the HP ENVY h8-1414, but the only thing I have found is the Windows key + B.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,391 2,259
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@aaenglish,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with the computer not booting. Don't worry I'll be really glad to help you with this.

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Kudos to you on that score. We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

• At the outset, it looks like a possible hardware issue with the computer where the Bios needs to be flashed. Any other way of unlocking the BIOS is not authorized by HP.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: 

1. Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  2. 2) Click on “Continue as guest”.
  3. 3) Enter the serial of your device.
  4. 4) Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. 5) Click on “Show Options”.

Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@

When I follow your directions and click on "Show Options" it says:

The following contact options are available for your product. Please check back during the hours of operation.

Beneath that it has a button for HP Support Forum.

There is no web form to fill out.

I have tried this at various times, and there is never a change.

The PC is over 5 years old and no longer under warranty.  Will it only allow me to create a case if a machine is under warranty?

Thank you.

Aaron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@aaenglish

You're welcome. 

As @Jeet_singh is out of the office today, I'm replying to you.  I have reviewed your post and fabulous diagnostics, spectacular analysis of the issue by you. Kudos to you for that.

Let me know your country of residence and I'll try to locate the contact information to reach our HP phone support team.

Secondly, there may not be service options available as the PC is over 5 years old. Therefore, you may have to check at a local service provider if they can fix it for you. Also, if you're recommended to replace the motherboard then you may search for the motherboard via the HP PartSurfer website.

Feel free to keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Country is United States.

Thank you.

Aaron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@aaenglish

You're welcome Aaron.:)

I have sent you a private message with the contact information for HP phone support.

Hope that helps. 

Take care! 🙂

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation