2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Won't Boot from M.2 NVMe PCIe 512G SSD

EliteDesk 800 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 500g SSD via a Vantec M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 adapter.  The Vantec adapter is plugged into the PCIExpress slot (the white one) on the motherboard.  I successfully cloned the system (actually I cloned the entire internal sata HD) onto the SSD.  Since I would like to boot from the SSD, I went into the bios to change the boot order.  Although I can access (read+write) to the SSD drive from Windows, the bios does NOT detect it hence I can't boot from it.  What setting changes, if any, should I make in the bios, that would allow me to boot from the SSD?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 1
4 4 1 2
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

G1 doesn't support nvme boot drive without the optional ROM. Only those old Samsung 950 with legacy ROM worked. Alternatively you can use a 2.5 ssd/hdd with a boot loader such as grub. Then route the boot to the nvme drive. A few milliseconds slower but a perfect workaround.

Windows and Linux can see the drive without problems once it's loaded. 

Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks!!!  Since I just bought the G1 (it was a refurb), i will return it and get something else that support the newer NVMe drives.  Since I do a few light weight multi-media projects, I thought this would be an inexpensive way to upgrade my current old HP desktop.  I will look for another desktop...  Thanks again for your reply!

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation