Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 15 AR000ND, Slow, randomly reboots, CPU 90 degrees, CPU often @ high activity 70 to 100%

HP envy x360 15-AR000nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, 

I've bought a HP Envy x360 15-ar000nd in may 2017. I've been well impressed by its good screen quality and the keyboard quallity. Nice laptop to look at aswell. Unfortunatly it has been much slower than i was hoping for.

Besides the slowness the laptop reboots from time to time. I cannot identify a trigger. Two times the rebloot resulted in hard disk faillure (it would not find any bootdisk). After another reboot it would boot smoothly.

Ive noticed the FAN of this laptop  sometimes makes alot of noise. This made me start looking in the diagnostics tools. Which came up with 90 degree celcius of CPU heat. Alhough i have to mention that the FANS and the holes in the casing are under the laptop. I asumme this makes the air flow pretty bad. It gets extremely slow when i put the laptop on my lap instead of on a desk. 

Processor activity is often high. Running only chrome will almost always take 60% to sometimes 90%. 

What i've done so far:

• Run HP hardware diagnostics: Everything was OK
  • Updated bios from F.17 to F.20. 
  • Checked all other updates from SA, none available. 
  • all windows updates are installed (problem also is present before recent updates)
  • Did a factory reset  
  • Blowing dust out of ventilation 

Any tips on what to do next. Please note my warrenty will soon expire (7-juni)

Thanks in advance.windows diagnostics.PNGheat.png

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 6
721 699 9 58
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 15 AR000ND, Slow, randomly reboots, CPU 90 degrees, CPU often @ high activity 70 to 100%

90c is when the Intel CPU slows down  all by its self, the Intel data sheet in that processor (most are back to P4)

do that and you cant stop that, unless you cure the cause of said overheat

The AMD page at AMD.com tells you the same words as Intel, for the same reasons.

a goal is about 55c.  (sure less better)

first the CPU slows, and if it gets too hot, it HALTS, saving itself from DOOM (damage)

intel knows what there are doing, ,no>? sure.

Learn this ( as an tech knows)

all PCs overheat and all do for 1 reasons

not cleaned ever year, clean all fans, and all vents, get the thing clean,

My desktop here right now is in need today, the GPU is running a tad  hot,  and i can see the lent there,

I just switched to hardwood floors, so lent will be less , in the future.... (I hate rugs btw)

the fan is controlled by thermal sensors , and is hard coded to run faster as heat gets too much.

its not a problem, its a FEATURE,  and the BIOS does this,  (level 1 protection) then 2nd level can be done with added application software.

but time to clean it,  google how to clean dirt and lint from any laptops.

here is one doing both desk and laptops.. with examples,  of NEGLECT.

http://www.pcdied.com/overheated.html

here is a laptop PACKED.  ( like a person breathing with socks stuffed in mouth)

http://www.pcdied.com/Filth101/html/image_9.html

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Please note my warranty will soon expire (7-juni).

Either open a claim against the warranty, before it does expire, to have an existing claim that will be useful after that date, or purchase an "extended warranty" from HP, to add 2 or 3 years more protection.

Definitely take the computer to a professional computer technician, to have it professionally cleaned, and the current "heat paste" removed and new paste applied.  Might cost about the same as an "extended warranty".

Definitely, over 90 degrees C for the video-adapter and elsewhere is "too much".

Such ongoing heat will shorten the life of the computer.  Ouch!

Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks both. That makes so much sense. The laptop has only been use for 1 year... I guess im going to buy cleaning unilities now. 

As i mentioned this laptop has a bad design for air flow. See these pictures. The only slot for a fan is under the laptop.

processes.PNGbackside.png

Besides cooling. Might it be usefull to look a bit futher? For instance i saw that a driver flow.exe uses quite some CPU and RAM. There has been repported problems here:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Flow-exe-spikes-to-20-CPU-and-causes-sporadic-windows-f...

And ofcourse our infamous chrome eats more than half all the time... Although ihave 8 gb. There is a extra slot in this laptop for ram. Is that going to give a notacible difference? I'm using it for browsing only! (but with many TABS and ofter a dozen word docks and excel files at the same time.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation