Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 23-d044 All-In-One Touch Screen PC. Blank Screen, no cursor after Windows 10 Fall Creator up

HP Envy 23-d044 All-iin-One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 23-d044 All-In-One Touch Screen PC.  Blank Screen, no cursor, no power to keyboard, 12 days after Win 10 Fall Creator update.

I didn't install or uninstall anything after this update, except a new HP plug and play keyboard. And prior to it, it has probably been 3 months since the last time I made any changes to my pc.

After delaying the FC update for 2-3 days I finally installed it. It installed without a hitch, except when I would launch Windows related things like "Settings" "This PC" "Control Panel" etc., their associated icons appeared blank in the taskbar.

A few days after the installation, I was inactive on my computer for some time and it should've been in sleep mode if not hibernation, but it appears some update happened and auto restarted the pc, and I lost 2 or 3 unsaved notepads.

Days later, after power on, my Start Menu was all screwy, nothing was clickable. I couldn't launch "Settings" from a desktop shortcut or a search, along with nearly everything contained within "Settings" such as "Update & Security" "Networking" etc. I also couldn't launch the Touch Keyboard or Speaker Volume .

I researched corrupted Start Menu and the top solution was to create a new acct profile, but I already had one. I went to that profile (which I seldom use) and everything was fine, except for the same blank "Settings" taskbar icons. I also started the pc in Safe Mode, went back to the corrupted profile and it worked as it should.

I wasn't ready to transfer all my stuff over to a new profile, so I tried some other solutions first. I did a "sfc scannow" command prompt, it completed and no issues were found. I did a virus scan with Malawarebytes, nothing was found. I ran the Troubleshooter for a couple of things, don't remember exactly what, Maintenace-something and Update-something, I believe neither one completed.

I tried a System Restore, with a two-day-old restore point, the System Restore FAILED. I then uninstalled Malawarebytes as well as a couple of other non-essential 3rd party apps via Revo Uninstaller, which creates a new restore point and unfortunately in my case deleted my 2 other earlier restore pts.

I then did a dskchk requiring restart, the dskchk got hung up at 12% for nearly 2 hrs, so I did a manual shutdown. Rollback was presented to me as an option, they say the old windows folder is deleted after 10 days, I was at 12 days, the folder was actually still there but the option didn't appear in update and security.  

I was back and forth between both profiles, in and out of Safe Mode, and restarting a few times. While in Safe Mode, I saw "Rollback" on the menu, I tried it, it could not be rolled back. Still on the Safe Mode menu, I clicked System Restore just to recheck it. The computer hung again, so I had to do a manual shutdown again.

After this happened when I powered on, BLANK SCREEN. The machine powers up, the fan kicks on, optical drive and HD spins, chirps, lights, the whole shebang. When I take the RAM out, it beeps and the power button flashes yellow.

Upon further research, I removed the RAM and HD, reseated them. I removed the CMOS battery and did the Bios jumper trick. It didn't work initially, but after I let the pc sit for about 6 hours unplugged, with everything removed. I did the Bios jumper trick again, waited about 10 minutes, still BLANK, left it on and walked away, about 20-25 minutes later I check, the display is on and it has booted directly to the Desktop.

When this happened, my priority was to backup my files and the computer was working as smoothly as it should. Then I checked for a newer version of BIOS and Display, there were none available. I checked for other device updates -- all updated.

I did a couple of restarts, the display came back on each time, I did one proper shutdown and upon power on, the display again was there. I tooled around for another 4 to 5 hours and everything seemed good and right. I shut it down and went to bed.

When I powered on, BLANK SCREEN again. waited a few minutes, nothing... I manually shutdown and powered on again and walked away, 15-20 minutes later, I check and it again booted directly to the Desktop. I disabled App Readiness, I set the power plan to high performance, I set display, sleep, hibernate to Never. I restarted a couple times, the display came on as normal.

Since it works just fine after I actually get a display, I got the bright idea to just hibernate it instead of shutdown, because I didn't want to leave it on FOREVER. This proved to be no different than shutdown. Hours later when I powered on again BLANK SCREEN.

I then learned about the 3 time power off technique. When I did this the first time, the screen stayed BLANK but I left it on, many minutes later I got THIS F1 Boot screen with a light on the keyboard, It booted to Desktop. Smooth running. More tooling around and research. Uninstalls and such. I trusted to do a restart because it worked before, this time restart resulted in a BLANK SCREEN.

KIMG01672.jpg

I let it sit unplugged for hours again with all the above mentioned stuff removed. Did jumper trick a few times, then I did 3 time power off and I got the same F1 boot screen, but this time it popped up instantly. Messed around with project screen and remote desktop, I re-enabled  App-Readiness for some reason and stupidly restarted, forgetting I accidentally ended Remote Desktop on the other computer. Tried to power on again. BLANK SCREEN.

So on 4 different RANDOM occasions, I've been able to get a display.  And from what I understand my ability to do these things suggests the Motherboard and HD is in good shape. So my question is, without a BIOS or Display update available what's my best course of action? ... Reset?.... Manual Rollback?.... Other???..... or Kaput?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 23-d044 All-In-One Touch Screen PC. Blank Screen, no cursor after Windows 10 Fall Creator up

>  So on 4 different RANDOM occasions, I've been able to get a display. 

> And from what I understand, ability to do these things suggests the Motherboard and HD is in good shape.

I would speculate that a motherboard and/or hard-drive that only works "intermittently" should not be classified as being "in good shape".

Experiment:

#1: disconnect the hard-drive, and then boot. 

How many seconds before it starts displaying any white-on-black text?

After that, what happens?

#2: remove the hard-drive, and attach it as a "secondary" disk-drive in a working computer, to see if its files/folders can be accessed from that computer.  Result?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With the HDD removed, the Bios Post happens only with some effort -- after repeating the described tricks. If I don't do those tricks first then it'll probably never come on.

With the HDD removed, one time after about 2 minutes, I got the HP Logo and it went straight to this text... "Error: no boot disk has been detected or disk has failed." Another time with the HDD removed, I got the text explaining to press Esc for the menu, I hit Esc and got the same message above.

I haven't yet attached the hard drive to another computer because I don't have a case, but the drive does everything it's supposed to do after I manage to get a display on the ailing computer. So if I simply leave the computer ON permanently, and never do another shutdown or restart, it might keep working for a few more years.

Yesterday, after I got a display, I first attempted another System Restore, it too failed as the previous one did. I then decided to do a Reset via "Updates & Security" (keeping my files). The Reset completed successfully, the computer and display survived thru all the restarts.

Not fully understanding what happens with Reset, initially after it went thru the process I had a Windows 10 earlier build, but soon I ended up with the Fall Creators version 1709 back on the PC.

Then I discovered my Touch Screen had been disabled too. The driver is missing from the Device Manager, it didn't automatically install. So via the HP website, I tried downloading the PCT Touch Firmware for my model, both in normal and compatibility mode, neither worked. I tried to run Troobleshoot "Hardware and Devices" but I keep getting... "An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue," ERROR CODE: 0x8000FFFF. I then tried to troubleshoot the error message, but everything is properly set. The thing just won't run.

So the Win 10 FCU continues to cripple my machine piece by piece. Or perhaps signs of a failing Motorboard?... I don't know.

After I gather the necessary devices, my next plan is to perform a custom install and downgrade the Windows 10 version, or use a backup disk image of my 8.1 system, that I made before upgrading to 10. My current BIOS is version 8.16 Rev.A for Windows 8.1, but there's a 8.17 Rev.A version available with Windows 8. Is it safe to install that?... Should I try that now before I start fresh?

Any helpful answers on the procedure sequence and simplier fixes will be appreciated. The thing is in Limbo right now and it's a major distraction. I want it to be either fixed or broken and I'll try anything, other than pay to replace the motherboard. Super long forum posts don't get much attention, so thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> My current BIOS is version 8.16 Rev.A for Windows 8.1, but there's a 8.17 Rev.A version available with Windows 8.

> Is it safe to install that?

Yes, it's as safe as any BIOS update -- any "interrupted" update can "brick" a motherboard.

Probably, 99% of the code in the 8.17 version is exactly the same as the code in the 8.16 version.

Does that make it more safe? less safe?

> Should I try that now before I start fresh?

No, not if you suspect that your motherboard is the cause of your problems.

> I haven't yet attached the hard drive to another computer, because I don't have a case.

Not necessary, when "jury-rigging" it into another computer, especially when unhooking the "data" and "power" cables from that computer's CD/DVD device, in order to temporarily connect your disk-drive.

As long as you can place it somewhere inside the desktop computer where it won't move, and won't contact any fan-blades, it can stay there, for an hour or two. 

Ban children & relatives & pets from the room, while you are doing this.  :Wink:

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation