Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-470na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have been having some trouble with boot up on my Envy 750-470na. Firstly I kept getting no signal to the monitor when the computer was turned on. There was power all the fans started but just no signal.

After investigation I have found that the PC will boot when the monitor is plugged into onboard graphics and after its booted you can switch to graphics card and everything works fine. However if you try and boot with monitor plugged into graphics card you just get no signal again.

Thought it might be a BIOS boot order issue but I cant access the bios without removing the Graphics card from the machine. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling graphics card drivers but no help.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just to keep it up to date. Managed to resolve this.

Ended up using reset PC to wipe all files. Then upgraded drivers for both graphics card and onboard graphics. This seemed to resolve the issue and then finally updated BIOS to be sure.

All seems to of been resolved now so thank you for all your suggestions.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is the make and model of the discrete graphics card?

Open up your PC and read the lable on the power supply.  What is the total wattage?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Card is AMD Radeon RX 480

power supply is 300W.

Card seems to boot correctly, fans start with no issues or warning beeps.

It also seems to be fine if i only switch monitor over after machine has booted to login screen.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The specifications for the Envy 750-470na PC  indicate the RX 580R and not the RX 480.   

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

I was taking that info from device manager so checked internally definetly a 480.

IMG_1361.JPGIMG_1364.JPG

When I put the serial number into HP support it also offers drivers for the RX480

HP Recommended

Hi,

Looks like HP has posted the wrong graphics card specifications for the ENVY 750-470na.

The PN on the card doesn't match up with the RX 480s listed by HP Part Surfer. ?????

Does the RX 480 in your PC have the auxilliary 6 pin power connector?

I'll ask HP to review the posted specifications. The RX 580 would typically require more than a 300 watt power supply.

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Yeah 6 pin connector in the top of the card.

HP Recommended

> I have found that the PC will boot when the monitor is plugged into onboard graphics

> After it's booted you can switch to graphics card and everything works fine.

> However if you try and boot with monitor plugged into graphics card you just get no signal again.

What happens if you borrow a monitor, and have both monitors connected when you power-on?

What is likely is that the "primary" monitor will show the BIOS startup screen and the Windows "splash" screen, while the "secondary" monitor will stay "dark", until Windows is fully booted.

Then, press-and-hold the "Windows" key (bottom-left of your keyboard) and press the 'P' key.

Release both keys.

You should be able to configure the two monitors, e.g., to "clone" the same Windows Desktop, or "extend" the Windows Desktop from the primary monitor onto the secondary monitor.

HP Recommended

I havent been able to use two monitors at the same but I did try plugging into to two hdmi inputs on the tv and it didnt show anything on either input.

When it boots on onboard graphics it doesnt show anything I only know it boots within about 10 seconds and then switch over the connection to make it work. It goes straight to log in screen.

I have tried to access BIOS with screen plugged in to onboard but it doesnt seem to work. I dont know if I am doing something wrong but tried esc, f8, f10 no response on any

HP Recommended

Just to keep it up to date. Managed to resolve this.

Ended up using reset PC to wipe all files. Then upgraded drivers for both graphics card and onboard graphics. This seemed to resolve the issue and then finally updated BIOS to be sure.

All seems to of been resolved now so thank you for all your suggestions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.