Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 11 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Agangopa,

You're very welcome.

Do one troubleshooting step  at a time. Trying too many things at once will muddy the water if the PC boots. You won't know which component is faulty.

Yes, pull both sticks of memory.

Boot with no memory to see if you get a POST error code.

Then try one stick of memory in each slot to see if the PC will POST successfully. I should have mentioned this in the previous reply.

Regards

0 Kudos
agangopa
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 1
Message 12 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried everything, and unfortunately, nothing has worked.

Removed the graphics card and connected the monitor to the onboard HDMI, no change.

Removed both RAM, no change.

Got a brand new 600W PSU (much nicer than what I have in the computer), connected 24 pin socket and 4 pin CPU power, nothing happened.

Is it possible that the power on/off switch is defective?  I guess that doesn't make as there is the flashing green light on the PSU, which has nothing to do with the power switch.

So, it leaves me with a defective motherboard or CPU.  I am thinking that perhaps I can try to change the motherboard myself.  I mean, how hard can it be?  I have nothing to lose anyway.  There is a Microceneter near where I live and I will give them a visit to see if they have a  motherboard that fits this desktop.

Thanks again for all your help.

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 13 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Agangopa,

You're very welcome.

You can't rule any component out.

It could be a bad power switch.

You could try shorting the MB power switch pins with a screwdriver. The problem is HP does not always use standard ATX Front Panel (F_P) MB headers. It may be hard to know what pins on the MB F_P header correspond to the power switch.

Is there any etching on the MB where the F_P header is to tell what pins control the power switch?

I guess you could replace the MB. I would weigh the cost against the benefits.

You may have a Windows activation problem if you replace the HP motherboard.

The HP PSU LED should be solid green. A flashing green PSU LED could indicate a bad PSU.

Regards

agangopa
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 1
Message 14 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On the motherboard near the front panel, I found a place where it says F_Panel. There is a black clip on it, with one red and green wires going into 1st and 2nd slots, and two black wires going into 3rd and 4th.  These wires are from the front of the panel just where the switch is located.  I removed the clip but was not sure which two I was supposed to jump.  So I used a screwdriver to jump 1and 2 and then 3 and 4.  Unfortunately, nothing changed, so I guess I can rule out the switch.

The PSU blinks when the 24-pin connector is connected to the motherboard. If I remove it, it says solid. Also, I got this brand new PSU but nothing changed, so I am assuming that the PSU is not the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 15 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Agangopa,

You're very welcome.

It really sounds like a bad MB.

Regards

0 Kudos
agangopa
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 1
Message 16 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for all your help.  I will post here if anything changes.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation