Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy H8-1437c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy H8-1437c

Updating from BIOS 8.20 to 8.21a in Windows 10 via the sp70266.exe from the drivers and support page. I checked both the Windows 8 & the Windows 8.1 BIOS download options and the newest BIOS on both pages was the sp70266.exe 8.21 Rev.A Jan 5, 2015. I followed the instructions. All seemed like it went well, a dialogue box(old black window like a command prompt window) opened and it deleted, wrote and verified each thing and then just disappeared. I did not get a windows style window confirming it finished or was done. So I surfed the web for an hour just waiting for something to appear or happen and nothing did? So I decided to restart the PC, that is when it went to a black screen, the power button went orange and it started beeping at me, I believe 6 beeps. I tried holding the windows button & the "B" while powering on per a search result I found that took me to a web page from HP titled "HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)" found here - https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730 . I then tried to create a flash drive to repair bios, but it doesn't have the option to create a USB flash drive on this BIOS! So I did the bottom option and cleared the CMOS on the motherboard by putting the jumper on pins 1&3. But that didn't work either. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I hope this helps someone in the future. After doing a bit of reading looking for ways to flash BIOS or fix it some how I read something about a person who had made a hardware change to their computer and many months later tried to update BIOS and it wouldn't boot afterwards!

So that got me thinking about the things I have upgraded and maybe they could be why my computer won't boot too? I have upgraded both hard drives and now have a 250GB SSD & a 1TB HDD, I removed and replaced the Wi-Fi Bluetooth card to a mini pci wireless card with external antennas and Bluetooth 5.0, changed the optical drive from a DVD RW to a Blu-ray Lightscribe RW player AND I replaced that Geforce GT 620 with a xFx Radeon HD 5770.

SO, could these be causing the computer to not boot after updating BIOS issue?

HP Recommended

I have been able to fix it myself and get my computer to boot. 

I had to install the old video card "GT 620" and it booted up! to BIOS, in BIOS I had to turn off secure boot and enable my HDD's? No idea why they were auto shut off by updating BIOS but they were missing from the boot order? Then after saving and exiting BIOS it booted to windows. After that I let windows run for a bit and shut down and restarted to make sure it would. It did, so I shut down again and removed the original video card and reinstalled my newer one and booted back up and it worked. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.