Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy H8-1500z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So a friend has this model of computer which I was going to install a PNY 250GB SSD Sata III on as the master drive, and a 500GB Sata as the 2nd drive for his music & other files. So I installed these two drive only to notice that there was a password needed to enter setup, bios, or even the boot menu. I need to know if there is a way to reset this as I have tried removing the CMOS battery & power for 5mins which is what I do on most systems with no problem but some how this didn't change anything. I also tried to input the wrong password 3 times for an error code to use to reset it with no luck as the system doesn't offer an error message like others do. System works fine with the 1TB Western Digital stock drive but it was owned by someone else which they got it from without the password so upgrading is impossible until we can reset the password & change boot options to allow installation of Ubuntu-Mate or Windows. It would also be nice to be able to change some of the other settings in the BIOS as well.

Can someone kindly offer any useful information that might help bypass the password so that it can be reset?

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the specs, that PC has the motherboard below...

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, M3970AM-HP (Angelica2) | HP® Customer Suppor...

See the last section on the page for how to clear the P/W.   I would also unplug the PC before working inside of it.

If the instructions don't work as written, try this...

1. Turn OFF, and unplug the computer.
  2. Remove the jumper from pins 1-2 (default).
  3. Plug in and turn on the computer.  The P/W should be cleared.
  4. Shut down, and unplug the computer.
  5. Replace the jumper.
  6. Plug in and turn ON the computer.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.