Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 750-170se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all.   My PC was fine for 2 years.  Now it's booting in Legacy mode, even though it says Secure Boot in the BIOS.    The BIOS version is  AMI A0.14 06/06/2016.   I reflashed the BIOS, didn't help.  

It is causing some programs to not function properly, such as OneNote starts and shutsdown in a few seconds, and DropBox won't start or let me reinstall it.

I tried switching to Legacy Mode and then back to Secure Boot, no luck.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I am not sure what is happening in your instance.

Secure Boot enforces predefined custom hardware keys created by either HP or you. Secure boot also prevents unauthorized code from running at boot time (now possibly compromised). You would have to disable Secure boot and enable Legacy Boot in the BIOS to make this change.

Can you recall any significant event such as a Windows 10 Update happening prior to this problem?

Have you run HP Hardware diagnostics (Link)? Have you checked system files (Link)?

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I am not sure what is happening in your instance.

Secure Boot enforces predefined custom hardware keys created by either HP or you. Secure boot also prevents unauthorized code from running at boot time (now possibly compromised). You would have to disable Secure boot and enable Legacy Boot in the BIOS to make this change.

Can you recall any significant event such as a Windows 10 Update happening prior to this problem?

Have you run HP Hardware diagnostics (Link)? Have you checked system files (Link)?

Regards

HP Recommended

Found the problem, thanks!   I had moved my computer, and one of my SSDs got disconnected, not sure how (user error).  I had to split the OS onto a 2nd SSD, as I was out of room on the first.  I have some large recording software programs and was using a lot of AppData space. 

When I tried to install the HP Hardware diagnostics you pointed me to it gave me an error that the 2nd SSD could not be found.  That was the missing clue.  Reconnected it and all good!

I was also able to update the BIOS from A0.14 Rev.A- Jul 17, 2016, to A0.59 01/22/2018.

Not sure how the disconnected drive affected the BIOS, but that’s okay.

Thanks again!!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi Hypnodrummer,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.