Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
All-In-One Pavilion 23-Q227C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever my computer boots up, the HP Download and Install Assistant tries to run to download a Realtek driver (SP74157) and HP Support Assistant (SP71727).  It fails every time, with a pop-up that says "HP Install and Download Assistant not Working" and the only option is to "Close program".  Don't know if these downloads are important, but having them fail every time is, at the least, a nuisance.  

Solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ericbro

I am not aware of a program that runs on HP consumer computers other than the HPSA that would be trying to install an update to your HP Audio Driver.

• If you remove the HP Support Assistant from Programs and Features,
  • If you shut down and then reboot the computer from an OFF condition (not a restart),
  • that should squelch (stop) the HPSA and any subsequent download / install process initiated by HPSA

If the process is repeating even after removing the program and completing a cold start (boot from OFF), then the install must be controlled with other than the HP Support Assistant (as you said). 

Task Manager will name the HPSA program when that program (HP Support Assistant) is opened (click on program and run).

The Task Manager > Details will name the (HPSA) program as "HPSF.exe" (executable for the HPSA).

If the process that is continually downloading and trying to install the Driver is other than the HPSA, then you may have to dig through the Process list (Task Manager > Performance > Resource Monitor) and see if you can track down the rogue program.

I should think that if the Driver is downloading from somewhere on the network, you would see a related link / process in the Resource Monitor.

I may have missed something, of course...

If I think of something else, I will post back.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ericbro

Driver

You can manually download and install the Driver from your Computer's Website Support Driver page:

HP Pavilion All-in-One - 23-q227c (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)

Category Audio > Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

File name: sp74157.exe

Release details

Released: Dec 8, 2015

Version 6.0.1.7673 Rev.A

Version 6.0.1.7673 Rev.A supercedes the Previous version: 6.0.1.7584 Rev.A

If you are unsure of what is installed now, check installed version:

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager > Open Audio >

Right-click on the driver > Properties > Driver

Alternative path:

Start > Settings > scroll down, Click Device Manager

Green_Line_1.jpg

HP Support Assistant

If the HPSA is not working correctly, you can remove the program from Programs and Features > reboot > download and install a new copy of the program.

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select run as Administrator and install.

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

If replacing the HPSA program does not work (you are still seeing a request to update the Driver), try / consider:

• Set HPSA > settings to "Check for Updates..." (as opposed to "Automatically download / install) >
  • Reboot the system and log in >
  • Open HPSA > click "Check for updates and messages" to allow the program to update the list >
  • If the update still shows up on the list >
  • Click on the Update > set to ignore / remove the Update from the install list (put file in Action Log)

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon-Fur.  As to installing the driver, that's not really my issue just yet (one thing at a time).  I'm frustrated by the "HP Install and Download Assistant" starting up (and failing) every time I start my computer.  I did try uninstalling HP Support Assistant, but that's apparently something else, because after the uninstall I rebooted and the "HP Install...." started and failed again.  I've checked the Startup tab in Task Manager, but there's no HP anything there.

HP Recommended

@ericbro

I am not aware of a program that runs on HP consumer computers other than the HPSA that would be trying to install an update to your HP Audio Driver.

• If you remove the HP Support Assistant from Programs and Features,
  • If you shut down and then reboot the computer from an OFF condition (not a restart),
  • that should squelch (stop) the HPSA and any subsequent download / install process initiated by HPSA

If the process is repeating even after removing the program and completing a cold start (boot from OFF), then the install must be controlled with other than the HP Support Assistant (as you said). 

Task Manager will name the HPSA program when that program (HP Support Assistant) is opened (click on program and run).

The Task Manager > Details will name the (HPSA) program as "HPSF.exe" (executable for the HPSA).

If the process that is continually downloading and trying to install the Driver is other than the HPSA, then you may have to dig through the Process list (Task Manager > Performance > Resource Monitor) and see if you can track down the rogue program.

I should think that if the Driver is downloading from somewhere on the network, you would see a related link / process in the Resource Monitor.

I may have missed something, of course...

If I think of something else, I will post back.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Looking at the Resource Monitor was the way to go.  I did a cold re-start, then without closing the "...stopped working" box, I looked at the Resource Monitor and found HPDIA.exe.  It's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\Modules.  I renamed it xHPDIA.exe and restarted.  No more error message.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@ericbro

You are welcome.

Happy more "no downloading".

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.