Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-160se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About a month ago my HP Omen desktop started to fail when shutting down. The screen would turn off but the desktop would remain powered on. At this time it also failed to recover if it went into sleep mode. It would also display a single like during start up which caused it to take 30-60 seconds longer to reboot suddenly. ( (A7) ME FW Downgrade - Request ME SpiLock Failed).

I lived with it for awhile but a little searching on the HP forums suggested it needed a BIOS upgrade. Sure enough I ram HP update Assistant and it showed a BIOS update. I ran the update and installed and then when  the computer restarted it yet again failed to shutdown completely. After waiting an hour or so I held the power button to shutdown and now the system no longer starts at all.

Sporadically it shows a blue screen that says BIOS corruption has been detected and I have been able once or twice to get it to install and verify the BIOS again but it still never shutsdown all the way or reboots. Now even pressing F10 or Esc I can't get the BIOS to reload. 

It appears now the desktop is a brick due to a failed BIOS update and of course it is just over 1 month out of warranty.  What can I do now?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Sounds like you have a Intel Management Engine firmware problem which a BIOS update did not correct. Could be a failing BIOS ROM chip or a different MB problem causing this symptom. Or just corrupted microcode caused by constant system shutdowns and erratic behavior.

A faulty power supply can cause stuff like this, something to think about.

You could try resetting CMOS by pulling the CR2032 MB battery. Let the PC sit for about 15 minutes. Do this with no AC power connected to the PC in a static free environment.

Then you may have to have a local PC tech take a look or contact HP Support (Link). Maybe you can get an extended warranty from HP.

Added suggestion: Try recovering the BIOS by following steps at this HP Site (Link).

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.