Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-an012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an HP omen 17-an012dx that seems to be having an unusual issue. Yesterday, I was playing a game when the entire laptop froze, perhaps due to the game, and then shut down when I tried to alt-tab out of the game. The laptop was not hot when I was playing and was on a flat cool surface at the time.

When I tried to turn it back on, it turned on but the screen was black, the power button flashed and I couldn't hear anything from the fans. I could not take out the battery at the time so I attempted a BIOS recovery using the windows key+B and windows key+f10 but it did not work. Eventually it was too late- time wise- and I could not do anythlaptop had drained the battery and I went to bed. The next morning, I charged the laptop and turned it on, the power button flashed, made a beeping noise (one beep) and it turned on normally. I tried it a couple more times and this happened two more times but now turns on normally. I've run diagnostics with the HP Support Assistant on multiple things such as the battery but nothing came up and, as of currently, the laptop is running fine

Is there any way I can prevent this from happening again and should I be concerned that this happened?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Teacyan,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's try to run an extensive system test from F2 and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are

shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it

available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in

Test Logs on the main menu.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Depending on the test results, If the test fails which would clearly indicate a possible hardware failure with the notebook. 

If the test passes, I would suggest here is to update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your notebook. You can try to update either using HP support website, using this link or download it using HP support assistant. 

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Teacyan,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's try to run an extensive system test from F2 and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are

shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it

available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in

Test Logs on the main menu.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Depending on the test results, If the test fails which would clearly indicate a possible hardware failure with the notebook. 

If the test passes, I would suggest here is to update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your notebook. You can try to update either using HP support website, using this link or download it using HP support assistant. 

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.