Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6-2017c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After adding 2 additional memory cards I got a faint whiff smell and the power switch started beeping yellow in 5 beep cycles. I removed those mem cards. Still happens. I did the power remove reset. Still happens. I removed all mem cards. Still happens. So I am guessing something else smoked... CPU or motherboard issue?

RickLSmith53_5056

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@RickLSmith53_50 

I don't mean this comment as an insult -- but most folks do NOT know that you need to be wearing a grounding strap on your wrist while doing this -- and the PC must be grounded also while doing this.

If not, you seriously risk static discharge to the memory and that can fry components on the motherboard.  The smell you noticed was probably that happening.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.