Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,

So, I have an HP Pavilion P6 desktop that won't power on. The green light on the PSU is solid so there is power going to the system and the power button is fine. 

I have tried the resets but this has made to difference. All internal cables have been checked and are fine.

Is there anything else I can try or any idea on what needs replacing.

Again, as I have a solid green light I assume the PSU is absolutely fine?

Thanks,

Lee

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @leeroy221 

It would be wise to measure the current (V) applied to the motherboard with a multimeter.

Please report your results.

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the YES button on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply 'Accept as Solution'.

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much 

ub6424_1-1655854870631.png

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello @leeroy221 

>All internal cables have been checked and are fine.

The one for switching the computer on, too ? PWR ON connector

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, just double checked, unplugged and plugged them back in and they are fine. 

HP Recommended

Hello @leeroy221 

Like I wrote before ...

=> It would be wise to measure the current (V) applied to the motherboard with a multimeter <=

If you can't do that, you're not going to get it running...

Please borrow another working power supply to check if there is a defect on the mainboard.

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have ordered a new PSU, should hopefully come tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes 🙂

HP Recommended

So... I installed the new PSU and had the same fault, constant green power light but the desktop not powering on. Disconnected and tried again, still the same. Disconnected the new PSU and connected the old one back up, tried that again, still the same. Then thought about the motherboard battery, moved that around tried to power but nothing. Put the cover back on the desktop and was going to take to a repair shop. Before I left I thought I best try it one more time after putting the cover back on, low and behold, it powered on. Now though, I get a bios problem on startup so I need to replace the motherboard battery. I am going to make an assumption that the motherboard battery was the problem all the time? Although, as far as I am aware, it wouldn't normally effect the power, just the bios upon startup?

HP Recommended

Hello @leeroy221 

Yes, in this case the CMOS battery (CR2032) could be the problem, put in a new one ( has 3V Voltage ! )

Please report your results

best regards

---

Thank you very much

⌨️

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.