Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP P6557C Desktop Short Beep, Long Beep

Pavillion P6557C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer was working fine until one day a clock showed up on the right bottom screen, I clicked on the x to close the clock. kept on working like normal. Next day I tried booting up the PC and nothing happened except a short beep and a long beep. looked for troubleshooting guides and it said that it was a memory error. I removed the side cover, dusted PC with  canned air and nothing happened PC still did not boot up. I ordered two new memory from Crucial.com installed them made sure I set them all the way in and secured them. Booted up PC and I still get the short beep and the long beep. PC does not boot to get to the BIOS screen.  Any ideas? Please help!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 5
248 247 14 52
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That sounds like a graphics card issue.

Memory beeps are usually three beeps and somtimes a short.

Try pulling the video card, light cleaning dusting--careful of staic discharge.

Reseat card and make sure its not binding on the back of the case where its secured.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
248 247 14 52
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just a note to recent post.

You should have never put win10 on an old machine like that.

It will give you problems to no end.

Stay with win7. Its better anyways. I beleive that came with Vista anyhow. but should run Win7 just fine.

If you go with Vista SP2 its actually better than win7 ever was. At least it was fixed and had no problems.

Win7 never got its issues fixed and now is abandoned.

If your old enough to remember people jumpiing on the XP bandwagon from win98.

If your lucky it would work and people blamed XP for their old machines in adequite hardware. and subsequent fasilures.

Despite what Msoft says. Op systems are not backwards compatible.

Been working on computers since 1993 and have seen it all.

Beta tested WinXP--Win2000- WinME-- Win Vista -Win7--and Win8.

Iam an expert on WinXP, Vista and 7.

Gave up on Msoft after the Win8 failure and them not listening to their field testers. There are still to this day problems with Win7 that were never fixed or even addressed. Most people dont even know they are there. Shipped it out anyways just like Win8 and its problems that also never got fixed.

People who work on these systems day in and out know more about whats going on than the people writing the code.

But they wont listen cause their book smart know it all yet have no field experience.

You will face the same issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Homerepairman, I was also looking at the Graphics card but I do not see where that would be. Looking at threads most of them say it is built in to the motherboard. Any ideas?   Thank you for your Help, all I need is for it to boot so I can get some files if possible from it.  I was even thinking about removing the Hard Disk and just use a USB jumper to copy all the data from it to an expandable hard drive using my Laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You know, I have seen problems like this mostly on HP, Comaq and old Gateway PC's. I also Iave a very Old Dell Studio Laptop that I bought like 11 years ago that came with Windows Vista then I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro and now it has been running Windows 10 Pro for a year and I have not had any problems with it. I only upgraded the RAM to 12G because it was very slow before, it had 4G.  I read that HP is also very particular about accepting different replacment parts that are not HP. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
248 247 14 52
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry didnt get back sooner.

Hardware changes are not so particular with HP or others so long as you dont try to use a factory restore.

That would give more issues than any.

I did just think of something that may be your culprit.

Check the battery on the mainboard.

Its a standard CR-2032.

When they start to die weird things happen.

GL with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Homerepairman, I tried replacing the battery and nothing happens, I even ordered a Hard Disk for it and nothing. I replaced the memory modules and nothing.  The fan over the processor turns on, and the fan for the power supply turn on. I When I push the Power button within a second the beeping starts. I do not hear the normal boot of the CD rom or the Hard Drive kicking on. Any more ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

By the way, this PC does not have a vido card that I can pull. it is all built in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

By the way, this PC does not have a video card that I can pull. it is all built in.

Instead of trying to "pull" it, install an add-in graphics adapter.

This should "disable" the onboard graphics.

> short beep and a long beep. looked for troubleshooting guides and it said that it was a memory error.

Agree --> https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02222922

> I ordered two new memory from Crucial.com installed them made sure I set them all the way in and secured them.

> Booted up PC and I still get the short beep and the long beep. 

What happens if only 1 stick  (out of the 4 that you now have)  is inserted?

Try that 1 stick, in each available slot.

Try a different stick, in each available slot.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation