Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion 20 AIO not booting past HP logo screen

Pavilion 20
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I'm helping a friend with her computer that won't boot.  It will boot to the HP logo screen, but it won't go any farther, and there is no keyboard input.  It has the Windows 8 sticker on it, but it very well may have been upgraded to Windows 10, I'm not sure.

She doesn't recall any changes or updates that happened before the problem started, she just tried to turn it on one morning and it wouldn't go past the logo screen.

I'm wondering if maybe there was a power surge that fried the motherboard, but in that case would it even get that far? Thoughts?  I have opened it up, and checked the RAM and connections.  I've replaced the RAM with a known-good stick as well as changing slots, and no change.  I removed the RAM, and did get the beep sequence.  Could the issue be with the CPU?

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Please provide a specific product number. What type of system are you working with? Desktop, AIO, or laptop?

This make troubleshooting easier.

A missing RAM error message with no RAM installed may be a good sign.

Have you tried booting to the BIOS?

Maybe you can reset the BIOS to it's defaults. Replace the MB battery.

Disconnect all peripherals and internal drives.

Troubleshooting options are limited by system architecture.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I apologize. Missed AIO in subject.

An AIO system limits troubleshooting techniques.

Everything is integrated on the motherboard.

It would be wise to provide a specific product number for better assistance.

One possible cause could be a failing external power supply.  The system cannot POST successfully. It is hanging at the HP logo.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have replaced the Motherboard battery.  Also, I am not using the power cable that came with the AIO, I am using my own that I know is good. It is a universal cable, so it has 8 or 10 different connectors.  I have also tried different outlets...

Product Number: D6U45AV#ABA

Model Number: 20-b220t

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi IsaacP

The processor is working and the motherboard is initializing; you are getting the HP logo when powering on the system. An integrated or connected motherboard device is preventing a successful Power On Self Test (POST).

You are using a universal external power brick. I hope this is not causing the problem. Maybe the HP factory power brick has problems and your power brick is not compatible.

Disconnect any peripheral devices such as a printer or any other external USB devices.

Try booting now.

Again, everything is integrated on the motherboard. You removed the RAM, try disconnecting the internal HDD and optical drive. Disconnect the USB 2.0 card reader if it is connected to a MB header. I have not worked on this motherboard so I am not familiar with the architecture.

Motherboard failure rates are much higher than CPU failures.

No POST and no operating system load suggests some component that is talking to the motherboard (connected or integrated) has failed if the power brick you are using is compatible and booting the system with minimal components connected to the system fails to solve the problem.

Tom

Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for your help!

I just tried what you mentioned.  I already had all the USB peripherals disconnected, but double checked.  All of the connectors are hard wired onto the MB.  I disconnected the HDD and optical drive and tried to boot.  Still nothing but the HP logo.  I also tried removing the wifi card, but that didn't change anything.

Is there any way to test the compatibility of my universal power cord?  I had thought that since the computer was able to turn on, that meant it worked.  Also, I checked with the person I'm helping, and she did not have the computer plugged into a surge protector.  Do you think there's a good chance the MB got fried?

One thing I was wondering about...  Is there any chance that working with the BIOS reset pins on the MB could fix anything?

Thanks, again!

Isaac

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi IsaacP

You are welcome.

My suggestion would be to get the correct HP power brick for this PC. There is no guarantee this will solve the problem. I am leaning towards an integrated MB component failure which prevents a successful POST.

The motherboard (MB) and the processor are not fried. You would see no activity when powering the system on if the motherboard or CPU was DOA.

You could try the CMOS jumper pin reset. But you already replaced the MB battery. Replacing the MB battery resets CMOS if you wait about ten minutes before installing the new MB battery.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

Do I need to get an OEM power brick, or just one that is compatible?

Also, when I replaced the MB battery, I didn't leave it out, but had the new one in the slot in about 30 seconds.  One question on that, when I leave it out does the PC need to be plugged in or not?

Thanks!

Isaac

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi IsaacP

You are welcome.

The system must not be connected to an AC power source when doing any work on the motherboard or connected components. The MB may be energized. It is also a good idea to depress the power switch after pulling the plug.

You might want to do the MB battery install again. Let the system rest for a while before you install this battery.

The OEM power brick is HP guaranteed to work with this system.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

That's what I thought, thanks!  I will try reinstalling the MB battery and let you know how it goes.

I will also look into the power brick.

Thank you!

Isaac

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation